Got a welcome mail after not confirming my email to an account that wasn't mine

crow_bar
Contributor
Contributor

I got a mail saying "Welcome to PayPal! Activate your account now" to an email address that was an undotted variant of my gmail address.
Gmail does not consider dots in an email address and all dotted/undotted variants belong to me.

This was created by a user with a different name (not sharing here).

I didn't even open the email before I got another one saying- "Welcome to PayPal One TouchTM". 

My email address (the undotted variant) seemed to be registered without me ever clicking  the "Confirm Email Address" button.

Is this an issue at your end. Please reply urgently.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

RichardMaison
Contributor
Contributor

If you are sure you didn't make a purchase anywhere recently and it's not your account; contact PayPal by Phone directly and explain them what happened.

Maybe your account is being abused by someone else. In any case, some further investigation is defintely required!

Login to Me Too

crow_bar
Contributor
Contributor

If you are sure you didn't make a purchase anywhere recently and it's not your account; contact PayPal by Phone directly and explain them what happened.

Please explain why I should take effort to solve a mishap which wasn't cause by my actions.

> Maybe your account is being abused by someone else.
Not my account. My account is linked and verified by the dotted version.

> In any case, some further investigation is defintely required!
The only thing that requires investigation is how and why PayPal allows creation of an account without verifying email. And how did I get that second mail without clicking the verify button.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @crow_bar,

In addition to the suggestion made by @RichardMaison, I'd suggest trying to log in using the undotted variant of your address, and completing password recovery if there is such an account and you're unable to log in. Once logged in, you can close the account. 

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

crow_bar
Contributor
Contributor

> I'd suggest trying to log in using the undotted variant of your address, and completing password recovery if there is such an account and you're unable to log in. Once logged in, you can close the account. 

Thank you for the suggestion. Excellent idea, I had already done this before contacting you through this forum.
If you still don't realise, the point is that this shouldn't have happened. Verify the email address before sending mail or even creating an account.

This is a PayPal blunder, and potentially even a security risk. PLEASE FIX IT.

Login to Me Too

crow_bar
Contributor
Contributor

I tried resetting the account again today when the mails didn't stop, but I can't since I need access to his phone or his VISA card number for that.

The user's name is "nihal <removed>". The last name is a typo for <removed>, he didn't even get that right.

The email account associated with this account is something I'm willing to share off forum, if needed.

The latest transaction made had ID: U-26G10404AK067453W consisting of a transaction that says "You requested ₱1.50 PHP from <removed>

Please, for the love of god, disable this account and secure your email verification process.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.