Giving a refund without losing out on fees

Kat49
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I sold an item on ebay - it was non-returnable but the purchaser (or rather his wife) decided he didn't want it after all.  I've decided to be fair and give a refund but don't think I should have to lose out by paying fees on the transaction so am trying to work out how much I can return to him.   Am I right in thinking that, if I make a partial refund, half the fee for the sale is refunded to me meaning that is the amount I should deduct from his refund? Or are there additional costs for issuing the refund?

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kat49

You would only lose the fixed part of the Paypal fee ie 20p.

You can click on the refund option and send back a part refund but if the buyer is not happy with that they may open a dispute for item received but not as described and IF they win then you would have to issue a full refund.

The fee is for paypal processing the buyers payment to you and then processing the refund back to the buyer for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kat49

You can click on the refund option and send back a part refund but if the buyer is not happy with that they may open a dispute for item received but not as described and IF they win then you would have to issue a full refund.

The fee is for paypal processing the buyers payment to you and then processing the refund back to the buyer for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Kat49
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

@Kat49

Thanks for the quick reply.  No, it wasn't that the item wasn't as described - it was for collection but the wife decided after the purchase that she wanted to buy a new one instead so they didn't collect.  Since it's such a small fee, I'll  just take the hit.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.