GUMTREE SCAM WARNING STELLA <removed>

The_little_thin
New Community Member

So I posted my sofa suite on Gumtree today as I'm downsizing, sadly it won't fit in my new home. Compared to what I paid for them a couple of years ago and the conditions it's a right bargain. So to be completly honest I wasn't really that shocked to have such a quick enquiry. I had a text message enquiry to see if it was still available and Seeing as the ad had literally been on for 10-15mins max it was of course available. The lady asked me to message back and let her know if it was available. Which I did, and this message below is her response. What made me think about doing a Google searching under the name Stella <removed> PayPal scam in the first place, was because approx 18 months ago my mother on law asked me to sell her deseased mum's 3 Piece suite. Which i posted on FB and GM and a lady messaged me way back then. I think the name they used way back then was Maria... something or other, it was the response which I got back from Stella <removed> was nearly word for word the same as Maria's message. In the end we donated that sofa to charity. This person is a con artist so remember this: If something sounds to good to be true, then trust your gut feeling as it probably is a scam. And If something or anything for that matter makes you doubt what the buyer is saying then trust that feeling and Google them. It's better to be safe than sorry 👌👌 Best of luck, I hope this disgusting person gets caught soon. Here's what the scam artist using the alias Stella Wayne sent me....... Thanks for your response, I want you to consider this a deal as i am willing to pay your full asking price! £350 i actually want to buy it for a family member who is urgently in need of it, i have checked through your posting and i'm fully satisfied with it. Unfortunately, i would not be able to come personally to view/collect, i work offshore as an instructor on a oil rig so i dont have time at all, but like i said i am 100% OK with the advert. However, i have a reliable courier that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money via PayPal as that is the only means of payment available to me at the moment. I would also appreciate if you could remove the advert asap. To start off with, please get back to me with suitable collection time so that i can inform the courier agent about it now.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@The_little_thin

This type of scam has been going on for at least 15 years, glad you were not caught out.

That would not be her name as scammers use anonymous i.d.'s / hijacked email addresses etc and normally work from an anonymous internet cafe.

Always remember.....

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc for a so called 'shipping agent' they are organising.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of item that is collected by the buyer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@The_little_thin

This type of scam has been going on for at least 15 years, glad you were not caught out.

That would not be her name as scammers use anonymous i.d.'s / hijacked email addresses etc and normally work from an anonymous internet cafe.

Always remember.....

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc for a so called 'shipping agent' they are organising.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of item that is collected by the buyer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

hamzakhan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there 

I hope that you are well, Please watch out on gumtree if a person by the name of  <Removed> contacts you do not reply to the person at any cost as I have been involved in this scam and I am still awaiting my 300 pounds that I had paid for the courier. They contact you with a paypal stylised email which is not by PayPal but is the scammers creation. Also I would like everyone to help me in getting this email: <Removed> removed from google so that other people like me cannot get scammed. The PayPal email comes stating you that the scammer paid the funds into your PayPal account which is untrue it expects you to pay and then send a screenshot of evidence. Once you send them the screenshot of proof you have paid the scammer then demands for more until a large amount is expected. But unfortunately PayPal pays you nothing and the scammer succeeds I pray that you all don’t get caught in this. Thanks God Bless You All. Also I request you all to please pray for me that I get my 300 pound back. Thanks 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.