Friends and family payment from Germany to UK

Jules368
Contributor
Contributor

Hi 

Can anyone clarify if I am sent a payment from Germany in euros will I have to pay a fee and how do i convert it to sterling?  Doing it thru friends and family..

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jules368 

As the 'receiver' of the payment you would not get a fee if they used the friends/family option and sent in your currency.

If you got a fee then they did not choose the friends / family option.

As for the 'sender' they would get a fee IF they funded that f/f payment via a card, its free if they fund it from their bank account or funds in their paypal balance.

There would be a cross border fee charged though to the sender if it was international.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jules368 

Firstly i hope you are not using that option to pay for goods? If you are then you will have 0 paypal buyer protection.

Secondly the fee you pay would depend on the funding source that you used.

Thirdly you don't have to convert it, when you click to use send money > family/friends you just put in the amount you want to send and then select the currency from the drop down box, then before you click to pay it will tell you how much will be deducted from your funding source in your own currency AND the fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Jules368
Contributor
Contributor

THis is about receiving a payment from germany not sending it.  I have already done a small transaction, in euros, converted it when I recieved it, no fees.  But a larger payment has been slammed with fees..... so I may refund and do it via friends and family -- the person is a friend... 

On some paypay pages it says there are no fees and on others its 2%?  That is why I am confused

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jules368 

As the 'receiver' of the payment you would not get a fee if they used the friends/family option and sent in your currency.

If you got a fee then they did not choose the friends / family option.

As for the 'sender' they would get a fee IF they funded that f/f payment via a card, its free if they fund it from their bank account or funds in their paypal balance.

There would be a cross border fee charged though to the sender if it was international.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.