Friends and Family Payment Refund Advice..

Paul_Brooks
Contributor
Contributor

hi, i was thinking of buying something from london, its £600 plus shipping, the person said he would only wants bank transfer, but he said he would accept paypal, but only if its paid friends and family because he doesn`t want to be charged the killer fees, i dont feel safe doing it this way but i really want the item, so this has probably been asked many times, am i covered if the item is not sent, or like if something goes wrong ? thanks alot.. Paul..

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Paul_Brooks

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Paul_Brooks
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the Quick reply,

ahh ok, i think i might pass then, i dont want to risk so much money, i cant pick it up in person as i live in Manchester and the seller is in London, i dont know the person, its just a person that is selling a bike, it is £600 plus another £100 for shipping, if there is no cover i cant do it, he said he wanted bank transfer but i`d be in the same situation, i think paypal fee on £700 would be £70, 10% ? i would be willing to go halves with him but i doubt he will go for it..

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Paul_Brooks

Think thats a wise decision.

Sometimes 'deals' don't actually turn out that way and easy to be scammed on paypal for pricy sales and buys.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.