Fraudulent text message

Wee-Jem
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, there are plenty of links/advice on what to do about suspicious emails, but I can't see anything about text messages. 

I received a text this morning stating that my account had been locked and I had 36 hours to confirm my account information or the account would be closed. Obviously I didn't click on the link that was in the text message, and came straight on my laptop and logged into the official site ... with my supposedly "locked" account.

How do I report the phone number to Paypal?  I am considering posting on Facebook and twitter as well in case others have been contacted by the same number.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Wee-Jem

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/phishing

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Wee-Jem

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/phishing

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Wee-Jem
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for taking the time to reply, but I already knew it was a hoax and I HD no intention of clicking any link or replying to them what I wanted to know was how to report the number. Since I couldn't find anything online I just posted the number and message on my Facebook and twitter accounts warning others not to fall for it.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.