Fraudulent Email? Email received from "PayPal" to other email not assoc. with my account

thebohemian
Contributor
Contributor

I got an email supposedly from PayPal in a gmail account (which I don't THINK I connected to my paypal account)  letting me know I had to claim money or it was to be returned to the payer (not me the payee).  My paypal handle is my yahoo email address.  I quickly clicked on the link in my gmail email to claim my money and it sent me to the PayPal login page.  I forgot what steps I took but then I got an email from "PayPal" saying click this link to confirm adding a new email to your paypal account, which I didn't click. It read "CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS/Hello Mr Smith/Confirm your email address now to let us know it really belongs to you. Once that's done, you're ready to receive money. If you are unable to click the button below to confirm your email.." To the community does this look fraudulent? I forwarded these emails to PayPal and waiting back to hear if they are fraudulent or not. Needless to say I changed my password. Thank you.

please follow this link."paypal_email_conf.pngpaypal_initial_email.png

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@thebohemian

Don't ever click on links in emails from PayPal you get out of nowhere especially when you're not expecting a payment or know you have not linked a certain email address to your PayPal acct. Check the email header info to see if it is even an legit PayPal email and check it again a real PayPal email header. Also log into your PayPal account directly at the website to see if that gmail acct was added to your PayPal in the account settings. Lastly, PayPal addresses you by your full name in emails or by your first name on the official website, not "Mr Smith". At least they never addressed me with a Mr/Ms prefix.  Can't see the images but it just sounds suspicious to me. If I am not expecting a payment, forgettaboutit it is spam/phishing.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.