Fraud right?

elliotrose17
Contributor
Contributor

Email from the guy who says he bought my shoes off ebay - but since he bought them there has been heaps of ebay emails and issues. see reply below...

Sent: Thursday, 10 May 2018 1:04 PM
To: Elliot Rose
Subject: Sorry For The Inconvenience - Payment Sent!!!

Hi

I just received an email from eBay saying something is wrong with my eBay account, I knew where the problem came from. I had log on my eBay 
account into another device that was why eBay thought my account was access by a third party and they relisted the item due to their over 
zealousness. They decided to protect us both. The issues with my account have now been resolved and confirmed by eBay.

How are you doing ? I precisely purchased the item on behalf of a folk of mine in West Africa who works in America Refineries. I have sorted 
out the postage cost via International Standard Post and i have added it accordingly to the cost of the item. 
I want the item posted via INTERNATIONAL STANDARD POST NOT INTERNATIONAL EXPRESS. POST IT VIA INTERNATIONAL STANDARD POST.

Here is the postage address

Name: Jason Samuel,
Address: 20, Alves Street,
Ijeshatedo,Aguda,
Surulere,

State: Lagos, 
Zipcode: 23401
+2348179378467.

Have you receive a confirmation of payment? if not kindly check your SPAM/JUNK mail. DONT DECLARE ITEM VALUE ON THE ITEM, ALSO WRITE ON IT BIRTHDAY GIFT.

Regards.
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Michelle

Hi @elliotrose17

Thank you so much for joining the PayPal Community!

Oh wow.... Yes, this is absolutely a scam. In one fell swoop, this email advises you how to sacrifice both eBay and PayPal seller protection by accepting the payment off-eBay, shipping through an unsupported carrier, and shipping to an address that isn't confirmed through a PayPal or eBay transaction. It also directs you to circumvent Nigerian customs fees as well as preventing you from even getting insurance for the package because it requires you to list the item(s) value. Smiley Mad

Thank you for sharing this so others in the Community can watch for this kind of scam!

Michelle

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

elliotrose17
Contributor
Contributor

He sent me another email - 

joseph wolf <>
Fri 11/05/2018, 2:05 PM

Hi,

What's happening? Please get back to me because you have been reported to the Australia Federal Police for investigation.you have to refund me my money if you don't want to post they item,

So stupid!! thank you for clarifying that for me though. I will ignore all emails from this user.

Thanks!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Michelle

Hello again @elliotrose17!

Yes, they tend to be quite persistent. I'm so happy I could help though. There's no need to engage with them any further. However, if they keep spamming you and you're feeling particularly passive-aggressive, you can always welcome them to visit:

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/types-of-scams/buying-or-selling/overpayment-scams

This government owned webpage describes the very scam they are trying to commit. While you're there, you can also report them using the "Report A Scam" link at the bottom of the page. More often than not, the emails will stop shortly after. 😉 

Thank you again for sharing and for joining the PayPal Community!

Michelle

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

Akshaya
New Community Member

I received the same email and exactly the same email body. How do we stop this? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.