Fraud? Wow! How the heck does this happen?!

Amish_Robot
Contributor
Contributor

I have a gmail email address that is NOT associated to my PayPal account and is rarely used for anything.  That email address is forwarded to a yahoo email address that IS associated to my PayPal account.  I got 3 legit emails from service at PayPal.com in my yahoo email inbox, which had been sent to my gmail email address, and therefore forwarded.  Those emails were "Activate your account", "Confirm your email address", and "Thanks for setting up PayPal One Touch".

Get this...I did not initiate these actions and the emails are addressed to a person who is not me and the gmail email address that they were sent to is SIMILAR to mine, but not mine, yet ended up in my inboxes (both gmail and yahoo through forwarding). 

The return path in the raw headers on these emails are for PayPal, confirmed by the automated fraud email header checker (<removed>).  It looks like right now, I could activate someone else's account, confirm my email address as their own, and have full access to the account, which I won't do of course.

What happened here?!  TIA.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.