First time PayPal user... Scammed???

JDWilliams1
Contributor
Contributor

I'd appreciate a little insight please. This is the first time I've used this service and I think someone has made a fool of me... <removed> Is this a real PayPal email address? I'm currently minus tech goods valued at £1,500+ and being asked to pay £400 to a PayPal account first before I can receive my "credited funds". Can anybody help?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JDWilliams1 

Can't see the email as its been removed by the moderators as you can't post email addresses on here.

BUT sounds like this scam........

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Once you have become a victim they may try again with more fake Paypal emails with other 'reasons' that you must send them a payment for any made up account issues that they can think of.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Paypal never tell you to send money to activate your account or receive funds.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union, Bank Transfer etc.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JDWilliams1
Contributor
Contributor
I guess this is what I deserve for trying to do somebody (the scammer in this case) a favour... Thank you for the information! 🙂 I guess I'll try and get help from Action Fraud
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.