Fell for a phishing email and account got hacked/stolen. What can I do?

ThomasSkunk
New Community Member

I got an email about 30 minutes ago that someone had added an email to my paypal account that ended in mail.ru.  As I live in the US, this wasn't me.  I stupidly tapped the link in the email and got a 404 message.  I tried logging in to see if I could change passwords, and it wouldn't accept my password.  I tried resetting it, and it put me into a new account with no card or bank attached, no transaction history.  I use paypal for ebay frequently, so I know this isn't right.  Paypal customer service doesn't open until 6am, and the automated system is no help at all.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Goldileen
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @ThomasSkunk 

Welcome to the Paypal Community. Thank you for patience. Though our response times may be delayed, be assured we're here.

Thank you for bringing this up to our attention and to answer your question we may not able to tell if the website is legitimate or not but since you used Paypal for that transaction we can help you out by reporting potential fraud, you can click the link below for further assistance.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-report-potential-fraud,-spoof-or-unauthorized-t...

Hope this helps. Please stay safe.

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.