Fees

nax29
Contributor
Contributor

I added money to my Paypal balance in order to cover a transfer I wished to make and avoid the fees associated with payments withdrawn from bank acct or credit cards. My balance is more than enough, yet when I try to make the transfer, Paypal is still charging me the fees associated with payment from bank account or credit card(!?!) Why?

(note: Paypal transfer attempt is for a friend in the U.S. from my Canadian acct.)

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nax29

Cross border / currency conversion fees.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nax29
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, @kernowlass for the effort. Unfortunately it does not solve my dilemma as I do have adequate funds present in my account at the exchange given.
To perhaps clarify my question, is why Paypal elects to add the charge of those fees associated with using a credit card or direct bank withdrawal when I have indicated to use my account balance, which holds sufficient funds to cover the amount selected even with the exchange rate.

@kernowlass wrote:

@nax29

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nax29

You get charged currency conversion (if required) AND cross border fees.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nax29
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

@nax29

Thank you for your again attempt to respond/solve this issue.
However, I do not feel this addresses the issue I am having as it does not describe those "fees" cited on Paypal in the calculations given to me.
> "How would you like to pay?"
A > When selecting for withdrawal to come from either credit card or bank account, fees are listed.

B > When selecting to use Paypal Balance (with sufficient funds present) no fees are cited.

Given that the funds in my account are higher than the transaction amount (transfer of funds to a friend), Why :

1 > would any indication or use of my CCs or Bank Acct come into play when unneeded?

2 > am I being charged the secondary fees associated with monies were they to come from the other options — these are variable to these alternate methods which, basically, should not be touched/needed given that there is no need to withdraw further funds to cover the amount of the base amount transaction.

Conversion rates and required funds have been taken into account.

(Note that I have never noticed before an additional fee to currency conversion, which is given at a rate set already to the advantage of PP and any potential banks involved.)

If there is an area where this is explained properly within PP website, it would be greatly appreciated if you could direct me.
Thanks again, but I still feel my question unanswered and an error made (or this whole additional fee Paypal hogwash.)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.