Fees which PayPal holds after full refund done. Total scam.

Stater
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Buyer bought the item, then canceled deal, I have made full refund and noticed that I was charged for fees anyway.

Bigger amount = bigger fees. 

+ 169,30 USD I received 

- 179,99 USD I should refund 

Why I hould pay for the transaction which was NOT made ?  It`s total scam, I have jut reviewed my account, same proeblem was with eBay purchases, which buyer was canceled from their side. I have done the refund in 1 hour, but PayPal still charged me.

+ 113,20 USD I have received
- 119,98 USD I have refunded 

How to deal with such cases ? 

How to avoid this situation where I need to pay from my wallet for deal which never happened ?!

@kernowlass 
@sharpiemarker 
@cdrollinitis 
@ploddo 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

ploddo
Contributor
Contributor
I think it depends on why the transaction is cancelled. As far as I know you can do a partial refund if the buyer just changed their mind, for instance.
Login to Me Too

Stater
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I understand that, for example instaed of 100$ I received, I will refund 90$ with comment 10$ its PP fees.

But in such case, I will not get any problem with the customer ? I think I do, because the buyer starts to tell that he wants his money back.

Login to Me Too

ploddo
Contributor
Contributor
That’s the price the buyer pays for pulling out of a deal though. Buyer is only entitled to full refund if the item was not as advertised or is faulty. For any other reason fees are payable I think. I haven’t checked the PayPal terms but it probably says similar there. Mind you, I am in the UK which may well be different.
Login to Me Too

Stater
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, Still no normal answer received from PayPal support. Looks like they do not know how this process works. Asked several times with examples - no answer. Maybe you know where in “terms” I could find this info?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.