Fees when Receiving Money

DogsareLife07
Contributor
Contributor
So my roommate is trying to send money for her rent, but she keeps telling me that the fee is $51 which is ridiculous. It isn't even close to the correct percentage that PayPal charges. Is she lying about the fee?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DogsareLife07 

Certainly sounds very odd. But without more information and how much the rent is then sorry can't advise.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DogsareLife07
Contributor
Contributor
She's trying to pay me $800. On her end she's saying the payment won't go thru because there's a $51 fee. But if she is sending the money, wouldn't the fee go to her? She keeps insisting I need the $51 in my wallet in order for the transaction to go thru. But even if she were using a credit card, and yes she's in the US, then the fee should only be $24.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DogsareLife07 

If she is using the friends/family option then she pays any fees if she is funding the paypal payment via a credit card.

If she funds it from a linked and confirmed bank account OR funds in her paypal balance there is no fee.

You don't need a fee in your wallet at all as she pays any fees for a f/f payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.