Fees on Visa debit card?

SiggyMarvin
Contributor
Contributor

Why are fees charged on Visa debit cards on Paypal, but not on Venmo?  It was a reward card I received as part of a promotion, but it works exactly like a debit card everywhere else except PayPal.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Drew

Hi @SiggyMarvin

That's a great question and I can answer it with the information we've been provided. When processing a payment via a debit or credit card, several of them will use the same processor which means we would incur fees regardless of whether it's a debit or credit card. Card processors and banks will do this as you're afforded a lot more dispute options when transactions are processed as credit. When debit cards are rarely processed as a debit card, we don't incur a fee for processing this payment. However, it happens so little, that we choose to have a flat rate for cards when you send a personal payment. 

Debit cards have the ability to process as a credit or debit. Most places like Venmo will only allow a debit card to process as a debit to ensure that fees aren't charged to them to process the payment. However, this option can also limit the ability as to which cards can process with them. There is a give and take in each situation. I know this response can be confusing but I hope it helps you understand the difference. 

Regards, 

Drew

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SiggyMarvin 

Maybe you used card to send money at PayPal (as oppose to making purchases) for which there are fees.

https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees#sending-friends-family

https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees#buying

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

SiggyMarvin
Contributor
Contributor
That's actually my point. There are no fees for sending money to a person with Venmo. Why can't Paypal do the same? I believe they now own Venmo.
Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Drew

Hi @SiggyMarvin

That's a great question and I can answer it with the information we've been provided. When processing a payment via a debit or credit card, several of them will use the same processor which means we would incur fees regardless of whether it's a debit or credit card. Card processors and banks will do this as you're afforded a lot more dispute options when transactions are processed as credit. When debit cards are rarely processed as a debit card, we don't incur a fee for processing this payment. However, it happens so little, that we choose to have a flat rate for cards when you send a personal payment. 

Debit cards have the ability to process as a credit or debit. Most places like Venmo will only allow a debit card to process as a debit to ensure that fees aren't charged to them to process the payment. However, this option can also limit the ability as to which cards can process with them. There is a give and take in each situation. I know this response can be confusing but I hope it helps you understand the difference. 

Regards, 

Drew

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.