Fees for sending to relatives

zhaoshirong
Contributor
Contributor

I want to send USD74 to my brother.  I've selected to send to a friend but it says it's going to charge me a fee.  I have a mixture of some money in USD and the rest in GBP so it's taking USD65 from the USD account and the rest from the GBP account.  And it's charging me a GBP fee.  So, at present I'm looking for an alternate method of paying him.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@zhaoshirong

Not sure what the fees are to use western union or moneygram, you would have to look them up.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

zhaoshirong
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I can use either of those but I guess I'm either going to use an Amazon gift certificate, or bite the bullet and accept the fees.

Just wondering why they say they won't charge fees when they do.  In my country that would be false advertising and subject to prosecution.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@zhaoshirong

Its free within your own country funded via funds in your paypal balance but internationally you would pay currency conversion fees.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

@kernowlass wrote:

@zhaoshirong

Its free within your own country funded via funds in your paypal balance but internationally you would pay currency conversion fees.

it wont be free,even in NZ,as the recipient could be paying conversion fee for GBP and US $.

REVIEW FEE SCHEDULE,EVEN IF HE SENDS GBP or US $ TO someone in UK or USA,there will be  a small fee .look at the fee schedule,could be 1.99 

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

you are in new Zealand,where is your brother?

to convert currency,there is a fee,it looks like you will pay2 conversion fee.

Login to Me Too

zhaoshirong
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in NZ yes, but I have both USD and GBP funds in my Paypal.  And choosing only USD to send USD to my brother in the USA doesn't involve any currency fees. I thought it was because they had to take some from my GBP account to make up the amount but when I reduced it so that it all came from the USD account, there is still a fee.

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

yes,there is fee sending money overseas ,varies with country and amount,go review fee schedule

Login to Me Too

zhaoshirong
Contributor
Contributor

I see.  So even though the funds are sitting in Paypal's coffers, since I'm in NZ, and I'm sending to a USA relative, it's considered an overseas transaction?  Whereas if I were transferring funds from my hypothetical USA bank, they'd consider it a local transaction?

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

@zhaoshirong wrote:

I'm in NZ yes, but I have both USD and GBP funds in my Paypal.  And choosing only USD to send USD to my brother in the USA doesn't involve any currency fees. I thought it was because they had to take some from my GBP account to make up the amount but when I reduced it so that it all came from the USD account, there is still a fee.

if you are an American expat in NZ,you can link a US bank as well as a NZ bank.

then you can transfer your US $ to your US bank account and from your US bank account ,you can do interbanking transfer to your cousin's US bank  which will be outside Paypal.

but if you want to send your cousin US $ to his US bank  account IN USAUSING pAYPAL,Paypal will charge a cross border fee per fee schedule,you don't know where your money is kept ,so there could be fee,besides no one works for free,you don't and I do not.

You can also use Instagram,western union,money gram ,wiretransfer,no one forces you to one way or another 

TALK IS CHEAP,why don't you go thru the motion of transferring like 10 dollars and see what it said before confirming the transfer.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.