Fees for receiving money from buyers through eBay

bilbet
Contributor
Contributor

Why are the Pay Pal fees for receiving money on eBay sales different from the 2.9% (plus .30) advertised? I have been charged 2.9% one time and 9.4% another time. Why? I baffled but need to understand this. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

bilbet
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I'm beginning to get an idea what is going on. It has to do with sales tax. Apparently Pay Pal is charging a sales tax to the buyer and it is showing up on "Fees." On a transaction in Va. in August, they charged 5.3% of the bid price. That is the amount that I entered when I listed the item. For a sale to Florida, however, they didn't take out anything for sales tax. For a sale in September, Pay Pal charged a tax of 6% of the bid price. Not too sure about why the 6%, but I understand that effective Oct. 1 there is an additional regional tax here, so the total would then be 6%. 

So my assumption is there are different agreements with different states. I have not been able to find a list yet, but for now I kind of get it. Very confusing for awhile there. Any further information or insight would still be appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bilbet 

International fees would be higher, have you sold internationally?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bilbet
Contributor
Contributor

All my sales are domestic via eBay. Thanks for asking. Any other thoughts? Today I had a sale and the gross amount received was $163.60, and the Pay Pal fee shows up under (Transactions details) as $14.04. Shipping from Va. to Md.

Login to Me Too
Solved

bilbet
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I'm beginning to get an idea what is going on. It has to do with sales tax. Apparently Pay Pal is charging a sales tax to the buyer and it is showing up on "Fees." On a transaction in Va. in August, they charged 5.3% of the bid price. That is the amount that I entered when I listed the item. For a sale to Florida, however, they didn't take out anything for sales tax. For a sale in September, Pay Pal charged a tax of 6% of the bid price. Not too sure about why the 6%, but I understand that effective Oct. 1 there is an additional regional tax here, so the total would then be 6%. 

So my assumption is there are different agreements with different states. I have not been able to find a list yet, but for now I kind of get it. Very confusing for awhile there. Any further information or insight would still be appreciated.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.