Fees charged when I get money and if I send someone money, will they be charged a fee?

RobertaB
Contributor
Contributor

I read the info on fees. I was charged a fee when someone paid me. I'm trying to figure out why and the % charged is more than the 2.9% you charge sellers. Also, If I send money to someone, I need to know if they are going to get the whole amount I send or will it be charged a fee.???

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RobertaB 

You pay fees as a seller to receive payments from buyers, go to legal (bottom right of page) > user agreement > (select your country) > FEES.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ690

However the fee you are quoting is actually 2.9% + 30c.

When you send a payment again if you are paying for goods or services then yes the seller would pay a fee.

The only time they would not pay a fee is if you sent a payment using the friends/family option BUT its against paypal rules to use that option unless you are really sending a 'gift' of money to a family member or a mate, if not you 'risk' paypal limiting your account as they do random checks on those types of payments.

If it is a real friends/family payment then the receiver does not pay a fee BUT you would pay a fee if you 'funded' that payment via a card, if you funded it via a bank account or funds in your balance then it would be free.

There are also higher fees for international transactions for sellers, and buyers may receive currency conversion fees.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RobertaB
Contributor
Contributor

I have two issues. A friend paid me and I was charged a fee. It equaled 3.5% of the amount. I was surprised. I don't know whether she paid it from her credit card or a bank.  OK, I can live with that now that I can maybe understand why/??

Also,

I want to donate $$ to someone via their paypal account BUT I don't want them to be charged a fee. How do I avoid that?  or Do I just add that percentage

to the amount I want them to have?  I read and re-read the fees section buy couldn't figure out why I was charged a fee and can't figure out if the recipient of my donation will be charged. I'm not sure my friend knew I would be charged.

Such a quandry,

Thanks for you feedback and help,

Roberta

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RobertaB 

You didn't read my post properly, if YOU were charged a fee then your 'friend' sent the payment using the goods/services option and NOT the friends/family option.

THEY would get a fee if they had sent it using the friends/family option BUT only if they funded it with a card (bank account or balance is free) as i said in my above post.

If you want to send someone a donation or gift payment then you go to send money > FRIENDS/FAMILY and send it to them, they won't get a fee and it will be free for you as well IF YOU DON'T FUND IT VIA A CARD.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RobertaB
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! I'm sorry I misunderstood or didn't comprehend your reply. I appreciate the explanation. This helps me alot!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.