Fees charged using Friends and Family

abookishgirl
Contributor
Contributor

I’m being charged fees for sending and receiving funds through Family and Friends using my Bank account. Why is this so?

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

Bentaylor1
Contributor
Contributor
Funded via PayPal balance.
Login to Me Too

jbgrunewald
Contributor
Contributor

I discovered mine was due to a negative PayPal balance. It wasn't clear to me at the summary for sending the money that they were including the negative balance (which I was initially not aware of) in the transaction total. Seems like a better breakdown explaining where the cost is coming from would be helpful here.

Login to Me Too

LCL1
Contributor
Contributor
This happened when my husband sent me money - his account shows that it was "money sent" versus "payment" like other purchases that he has made. However, when we explained this to PayPal customer service, they only responded by saying it was "our" mistake and that "there was nothing they could do." Not only does it not make sense why a husband would send monies as goods and services to his wife, but the fact that the customer service agents kept blaming us and saying it was our mistake was the most insulting way to treat a customer. They basically stole over $100USD from us, and refuse to refund it. There was already a settlement with PayPal in 2018 for unjustified acts of holding funds. How many other people have experienced this similar practice with Friends and Family transfers, no matter how big or small the fees, or know if a class action lawsuit is already in progress?
Login to Me Too

Yosemite14
Contributor
Contributor
I was sending money to a friend- I’ve used PayPal for years & always chose friends & family with them- so I did again- the app on my phone was acting up but it still said friends & family no fee. So I sent- then it charged a $50 fee! PayPal said they would reverse it - so we did a refund & a resend (it worked on the desktop). But it didn’t reverse the fee. Now other agents are saying tough luck & that first agent didn’t know what she was saying when we spent an hour refunding & resending... every new agent I’ve spoken to has said a different thing- apparently PayPal can just have a tech issue - and take no responsibility for it or for what their agents say... unbelievable! How can anyone trust a company that does this! PS I have proof of the glitch.
Login to Me Too

kesstrel
Contributor
Contributor

A friend sent me £330 using Friends and Family and somehow the transaction got changed to Goods and Services, so I was charged £9.87 leaving me with £320.13. I thought I'd try a refund, but then found that Paypal would take money from my bank account to make it back up to £330 and that they don't refund the fees. Several hours and conversation later, with a different customer representative each time, nothing is resolved and they also haven't been able to help me downgrade my account from a business account (which I tried ages ago for some CDs I was selling). Done with Paypal now, they have absolutely broken my trust, stolen from me and are trying to steal from me again via the refund. I found this article while researching the fees thing too: 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.