Fees charged using Friends and Family

abookishgirl
Contributor
Contributor

I’m being charged fees for sending and receiving funds through Family and Friends using my Bank account. Why is this so?

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@abookishgirl

Was it an international transaction?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Renpurple
New Community Member

Me too. I just transfered money friends and family. 

£10 and I got charged 27.3%!! 

I dont understand why so I cant help, but I speculate this:

Firstly, both parties ARE definitely in the UK. When I went on the page to send the money the sender amount was in GBP, but the 'buyer receive field' was set to EUR. I thought that must be wrong, so I set it to GBP. I think by making this change paypal believes it is now an international transaction - though clearly it is not. I pressed the 'proceed' button at the same moment I saw the payment of £12.73 - bah!!

If anyone knows why this happened, or how I complain/report it then please let me know via this post.

Login to Me Too

visualimpact
New Community Member

Time to leave Paypal

they are also a part of the international fraudulent money cartels

I was charged 30% for sending money to friends

and only advised of the charges AFTER the transaction had gone through

Time to leave

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@visualimpact 

Fees show before you click to complete payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

It would be free fee if you live in US and your friends or family lives in US too. I just found it out.

Login to Me Too

contact_dkc

I'm in US, paying friend in US. Each time I've sent my friend money, I'm told there's no charge during the setup of the transaction. But, looking back at the history, I've been charged 3% for every send to her.

Login to Me Too

Cosria
New Community Member
Mine have not been international
Login to Me Too

Temp20230525aa
New Community Member

no its not

Login to Me Too

Aaworthington25
Contributor
Contributor
It happened to me too. Just now I was charged 5 $ for sending 100 $ to a friend. I sent $ to a friend overseas a few days ago, idk if that is why. Usually I use Western Union but we thought oh we both have PayPal how convenient. This person I just sent to was local and also direct from my account all funds in USD. I am not sure what is happened.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.