Fee query

Polls100
Contributor
Contributor

I have just received a £20.00 transfer from a private Facebook sale. The notification says a £20.00 payment has been received but when I check I see a .88p fee has been deducted. Why is this, on a personal transaction, not a business? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Polls100 

There is two payment types: Friends and family and Goods and Services (regardless of account type).

The sender could have sent a goods and services payment levying a PayPal fee or you used a PayPal button at facebook which also imposes a fee to receive payment.

Does the payment status say "Money Received" which is indicative of a friends and family payment ? In some cases, the sender can decide who pays the applicable fees on a personal payment.

Payment Received would of course be indicative of a goods and services payment and PayPal fees are charged.

Your payment incurred a 2.9% + £0.30 fee.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Generally, if you're receiving money for a sale regardless of account type, a PayPal fee is charged for receiving payment. Abuse of the Friends and Family payment type for use in exchange for goods and services is prohibited as that constitutes as fee avoidance ultimately costing us more in fees generally in the long run and negating buyer protections. Simply figure in the expense to the item price. A sale at a marketplace or shop should never be considered "personal".

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Polls100 

There is two payment types: Friends and family and Goods and Services (regardless of account type).

The sender could have sent a goods and services payment levying a PayPal fee or you used a PayPal button at facebook which also imposes a fee to receive payment.

Does the payment status say "Money Received" which is indicative of a friends and family payment ? In some cases, the sender can decide who pays the applicable fees on a personal payment.

Payment Received would of course be indicative of a goods and services payment and PayPal fees are charged.

Your payment incurred a 2.9% + £0.30 fee.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Generally, if you're receiving money for a sale regardless of account type, a PayPal fee is charged for receiving payment. Abuse of the Friends and Family payment type for use in exchange for goods and services is prohibited as that constitutes as fee avoidance ultimately costing us more in fees generally in the long run and negating buyer protections. Simply figure in the expense to the item price. A sale at a marketplace or shop should never be considered "personal".

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.