Fee for receiver instead of sender!?!?!

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Why is the FEE for using a credit card passed on to the receiver? There needs to be a way for the merchant to pass on the fee (without having to calculate it himself) to the customer for having to use a credit card instead of a debit from bank or their paypal balance. 

Anyone else frustrated by this? Any suggestions?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User 

Because that's how PayPal is set up to receive payment for their services from the get-go. The seller/recipient of funds pays the PayPal fee for receiving commercial payments/transactions. The buyers/senders don't pay it. PayPal user agreement does not allow you to charge a customer a PayPal surcharge but you can charge a "handling fee" that is the same for all payment types/orders and so it would not discourage the use of PayPal. It's called "cost of doing business".

"No surcharges:

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.
"

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#accepting-payments

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Anonymous_User 

Because that's how PayPal is set up to receive payment for their services from the get-go. The seller/recipient of funds pays the PayPal fee for receiving commercial payments/transactions. The buyers/senders don't pay it. PayPal user agreement does not allow you to charge a customer a PayPal surcharge but you can charge a "handling fee" that is the same for all payment types/orders and so it would not discourage the use of PayPal. It's called "cost of doing business".

"No surcharges:

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.
"

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#accepting-payments

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Basically PayPal wants its cake and to eat it too. This is unacceptable and discouraging sellers from using the service. I am inclined to delete my account entirely since it forced me to use the business account. Just encouraging everyone to use Venmo with this horrible system now. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.