Family / Friend Member Payment Scam

GeroldCambron1
New Community Member

I purchases something for a video game that was supposed to be a good deal I tried buying with services , and he refunded saying I need to send through family as it takes to long with the services for him to receive his money this is $50.00 that I worked hard for , and this person has scammed me , and here is proof 

https://gyazo.com/7acf3896f64696b488d625c179ab4da2

That is the seller
https://gyazo.com/f2fd9c11c2dcd1e0c6da301b85659007 

<removed>

Please help me get my money back from this no life person

The first screen shot is the many times - he has a community discord - which is where you chat with friends , and he used it to promote his " Product " after receiving of what he claimed to have scammed $1,000.00 he thought it would be funny to say the same message over , and over again in the group chat as a joke to him , because he just made $1,000.00 USD with in a few hours of just lying to people trying to buy a digital good it would be a shame if this person is able to get away with taking my money , and others that he has scammed this is unjustifiable to let someone get away. He should have his accounts fund reversed payments from all that was sent to him , and his account fully limited this is just really annoying that someone can even get away with something like this please report this I tried calling , and paypal does nothing even though first time send Family payment it doesn't list that you can't refund , and that is not telling me the difference within the payment methods the only thing I knew is what the seller told me which was that he would not have a hold on the money , and he needed the money right now

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GeroldCambron1

Yes it does, when i click to send to friends / family there are 2 options and it clearly states buyer protection on goods / services and not on family / friends.

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute apart from an unauthorised transaction (if your account was hacked and used without your consent).

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.