Fake e-mail address???

Veyron007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

today I've got an e-mail from this e-mail address <removed>, which seems to be connected to PayPal, however I am not sure, so I'd like to ask your help and support.

This e-mail says that:

- my buyer has transferred me the requested monay via PayPal MERCHANDISE Payment Service (Of course before this mail, between me and the buyer there was a long conversation -in mail- and finally we have made a deal)

- the mail describes the details of the "putative/assumed" paypal transaction (Merchandise Amount: €1,856.00 EUR ; Transport Charges: €800.00 EUR; etc...)

- And finally it writes the following:

In order complete this transaction and get the funds credited into your account you have to go to any Western Union Office and transfer the excess sum of €800.00 EUR to the Transport Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt.

In my paypal account, I do not see anything about this "transaction"... 

Is this e-mail address valid and related to paypal?

Is this process valid? Do Paypal send this kind of mail and hold the money back until the western union confirm that I've transferred the requested transport charges?

I am very confused... 

Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Br,

V007

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Veyron007

This is a typical scam ..................

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Veyron007

This is a typical scam ..................

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Veyron007
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much! You have helped me a lot!

FYI for everybody:

The partner in the mailing was: <removed>

<removed>

Login to Me Too

Dsh66
Contributor
Contributor
I got this from a katehanson131 earlier. Looks like the same scam. Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my cousin. and i am read to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dsh66

Yep exactly the same SCAM.

They are either in a wheelchair, disabled, working offshore, in the military etc etc etc.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.