Fake Acct Limitation Notices?

TriadD
Contributor
Contributor

I've received several acct limitation notices purportedly from P/P that informed me to login to my acct and provide needed information.  However, when I login to my account there is no sign of a problem either in the general settings or resolution center.  The second notice I received looked suspicious enough to forward to PayPal's fraud notification center however P/P never bothered to response.  The most recent notice included a pdf attachment citing unusual login activity for which P/P needed additional info - but again nothing when I logged in.  I've made several transactions since the notices started and they've all been processed without problem.  At this point I don't know if someone is trying to gain access to my P/P acct or if these notices are actually the fraud.  Anyone have a similar experience?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Ragnar_Lothbrok
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Good day @TriadD, I hope all is well! My apologies if you haven't received any reply from paypal as of now but I'd like to thank you for doing an initial investigation yourself. I am happy to know that nothing seems to be wrong on your account and all your transactions were processed successfully. On that case, if you think you’ve received a suspicious email or have been directed to a fake website, forward it to spoof@paypal.com and we’ll investigate it for you. After you send us the email, delete it from your inbox. If you clicked on any links or downloaded any attachments within the suspicious email or website, log into your account and review your transactionsn again. It’s also a good idea to change your password. Have an excellent day!
Login to Me Too

TriadD
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Ragnar_Lothbrok.  Thanks for the response.  In re to your suggestions, I did change my password after receiving the first suspicious notice and I did forward the second limitation notice to PayPal's spoof site (no response either way).  I attempted to forward the 3rd email's pdf attachment directly to PayPal but I never received a confirmation so I doubt if the email was processed.  These 'notices' began while I had a case in P/P's resolution center, a case for which I received a full refund.  I will review my transactions again but there appears to be no problem there.  If these notices are valid, I imagine someone at least knows my P/P email address but, to date, hasn't been able to access my acct and do any damage.   

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TriadD 

If its a spoof, NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ragnar_Lothbrok
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @TriadD, you are welcome. I am sorry for you not getting any reply but as long as you've forwarded the fake email, we will surely investigate it for you. You've been doing the right thing by consistently checking on your account and I want to commend you for that. Logging into your PayPal account is the best way to understand if there's action waiting for you. Any kind of action or notification waiting for you is either displayed on the account summary page or you'll see a notification waiting for you in the bell icon that either directs you to the message in the Message Center or Resolution Center. Since there was nothing in your PayPal account someone was trying to scam you. I am glad that you are staying safe and taking the correct steps. You may also consider the reply from kernowlass as he/she is absolutely right.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.