Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

jodi123
Contributor
Contributor

and i got another email ----- (different person))............SCAM TOO??????

Thanks for the prompt response to my inquiry. I hope it is in a
> perfect condition as I'm highly interested in it and I am really okay
> with the pics i saw at craigslist i will have love to come and take a
> look my self but i am a very busy man i hope you will understand?due
> to the distance i will like to make an instant purchase but if there
> is anything wrong, you can kindly let me know and we can fix things
> up. I don't mind paying additional $50 for it in order for you to take
> the ad down from craigslist and also to be assured that it is already
> mine.I will be paying you via paypal and it is going to be sent to you
> via courier service which is going to be mail to you as soon as
> possible For the payment, I'm going to need your details as follow
>
> *****paypal mail
> My mover will be coming for the pick up as soon as you have received
> the mail, so you don't need to bother your self about the shipping 
>>
> I understand that we need to talk so that the deal will move perfectly
> but unfortunately for me i am a hearing impaired and i do not make use
> of phone i want you to please get back to me with the required
> information so that i will
> be able to facilitate the mailing of your payment as soon as possible
>

Login to Me Too

jodi123
Contributor
Contributor

HOW  can anyone be trusted on here/?

this is my first time ever using this paypal...and from the sounds of it..u cant trust NO ONE....if the money gets into ur acct...and u withdrawl it from the bank...then it should be good right?

i would never send nothing without  payment physically in MY HANDS...therefore i know it is ok to mail...right??????????

Login to Me Too

phbthh
Contributor
Contributor

wrong!!!!!!!!! All methods of payment have risk to them. All transaction providers have rules in which the buyer and seller have a legal agreement with the provider. With credit cards there is a possiblity of chargebacks. While it may seem that paypal has given you the money, this is not the case. When you do a transaction with paypal the money is forwarded to your account CONDITIONALLY. Once all the conditions of the agreement have been met, then you can keep the money. 

If the buyer, who also has a legal agreement with paypal, then uses their agreement to claim an item is not received and you cannot prove it was, then you will have that money taken back. I also believe vehicles are not included in the seller protection. 

You would think Cash was a sure thing but then you have to worry about counterfeit bills. Not so much any more, but just a few years ago stores would not accept old $100 bills. 

Probably the only sure thing for a seller is western union, but most people won't use that as a method of payment. 

Login to Me Too

jodi123
Contributor
Contributor

ok.. so now i selling a engagement ring... andi want to know.. that once they send me the payment to my paypal acct.. and i WAIT the 7 days for it to clear the bank.... and THEN i send out the ring in the mail...then my money is good right?

and the byer wants to pay the shipping... is it better for me to do the shipping ( so i have a receipt) or for him to do it?....and after i send it....and HE RECEIVES the ring... he cant claim that he didnt receive it.. ( CAUSE HE WILL) and i will have my receipt for the proof..

Login to Me Too

jodi123
Contributor
Contributor
this guy sent me a email to BUY my ring ( Denis)---Hello thanks for your response,i am glad the item is still available
> for sale i like it and i will like to buy it,i will like to pay you
> through PayPal because it is the only secure online transaction
> payment that i know this days,i will pay you $1,500 USD for the item
> cost price and $100 USD for the shipping cost to my house address in
> the states(USA) so get back to me with your PayPal email address or
> you should send me paypal money request so i can proceed with the
> payment asap and you can ship out as soon as PayPal notify you with
> the payment ok.
> Regards .

SCAM U THINK? OR NO------GODDDDD IT SO HARD TO BELEIVE OR TRUST ANYONE GRRRRR
Login to Me Too

vanessa1234
New Community Member

Sounds ok. You send HIM an invoice fro myour account. and once you see the money in your account then send it. Take the shipping charges, cause if it's real, then you will have to pay for it.

Login to Me Too

sheenagirl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I received the exact same message from him about a ring I'm selling.  I've sent him a money request, don't know what will happen.  Please let me know if you hear anymore on this.

Login to Me Too

jodi123
Contributor
Contributor

THIS IS ANOTHER MESSAGE I GOT FROM ANOTHER ---- ( WHO DO U BELEIVE AND TRUST??!!)))------Hello thanks for your message, i will like you to know that i > > have much interest in buying the item from you and right now am > > out of state.so i can not make to come there and pick up the > > item from you . here is my offer $2180.00 with shipment fees via > > post office to my sister in abroad .but i have one problem i > > can only paid you via PayPal or Bank Transfer because is > very safe and secure for any transaction . so get back to me > > with your PayPal id or send me money request from your PayPal > > account or bank transfer so that i can send you the payment . > am waiting for your response soon. > > Colins.

Login to Me Too

laurgood67
Contributor
Contributor

I would advise this person.  That you will only shipped to a paypal confirmed address.  Make sure he has a confirmed address.   That way you know paypal has checked him out.

I own a store and if someone abroad wants it.  Ask to see his Passport and drivers license to verify the correct address.  You have to be careful these days.

Login to Me Too

laurgood67
Contributor
Contributor

If you are selling on ebay.  Check out his rating.

See if the address on Paypal is concerned.

Paypal is very helpful.  I would phone and talk to them.  If it is a scam they want to know as well.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.