Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NS3

Better not use your bank or credit cards either then as scammers send convincing emails about those as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

yvworld

Just had the same experience...for an item that cost $250 the guy was willing to pay $450 ($200 shipping), which I obviously couldn't believe. After that,  I got an email from paypal (that looked very suspicious) saying that I had $450 pending on my account.  I reviewed my paypal account and of course there was no money at all. These guys want your stuff and your money, be careful...

Login to Me Too

zanfrench

This JUST happened to me! Turns out as I was googling the zipcode, a TON of stuff cropped up about Nigerian scams!

This is what my scammer said to me:

"I'll like to inquire if your listed is still up for sale,Please keep me posted ASAP Alright, I'm okay with your asking price and hope this is real and not a scam? I'm a member of the USMC but due to the nature of my work, I'm no longer in town to pay through cash, but I have no problem sending the money first. I'm trying to get this item for my uncle inspecting a project at oversea. I'll pay $150 for the postage fees including your asking price of $480. Do you have a PayPal account? -Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5."

I was stupid enough to go through all the stuff with this person. Then they started getting really bossy, saying things like, 

"I want you to deleted the post from craig list now okay..." "So first thing in the morning get the phone ship out okay..."

And when I told them that I would not accept the payment, nor would I be shipping, they got hostile quick

"**bleep** no,are you scam? I send you the money nonrefundable" "But you have nothing to worry about,cos the total funds already been deducted from my account" "Well I already reported you to FBI and they are countin on you" "Check your email now"

Seriously, this is the best scam yet. For the first little bit, I thought it was a real person, then everything got suspicious real quick. I emailed the person who's account they were using letting them know their account was being compromised, but now I have to replace all my passwords and block the phone number and hope I can stay safe from crap like this.

PS this is the address they used on me:

(Name;.........Busha <removed>
(Address:.....<removed>
(City:............Surulere) 
(State:...........Lagos) 
(Country:........Nigeria) 
(Zipcode:........+23401)

Login to Me Too

MattO359
I think I may have been scammed, I posted on Craigslist I was selling my Xbox and a 323 number a California area code texted me wanting to buy saying he was a marine recruit and that he was wanting to send a Xbox one to his friend who is stationed in Lagos Nigeria, I looked it up and there are marine bases there. They wanted me to pay costumes and a import fee. I paid costoms but quit paying because I thought I was being scammed... Since I didn't pay the import is there a way I can get my package back since I'm refusing to pay these fees??
Login to Me Too

Lee253

I was just approached by a scammer via text message using that same exact tag lines as you mentioned. They said they wanted to know if I still had the products I was selling and if I could get back to them asap! The number was a North Carolina number *******. They said they were a member of the USMC and that he needed the items shipped to Nigeria and that he would pay $200 extra for the items plus the shipping fees. The mailing address he gave me was for was a *** **** **** I am so happy I looked up the zip code because I didn't realize I was being scammed. Only difference is I wasnt cursed out when I called the person out on being a scammer, they simoly never replied back. I guess I scared em away. I did ask, before discovering the truth, as to where they found my ad for the items I was selling and the person said craigslist. Go figure, another site heavily known for scam artist.

Login to Me Too

Karate_kid45
Its crazy how the scam goes way back and today it happened to me, i get an email from a guy who buys my xbox one within the 2nd day of it being up. He then supposedly pays through paypal and asks if i got an email from paypal about the money transaction, i originally asked $500 for it and he supposedly sent $700 and the transaction wouldn't be completed until i added a tracking number of the shippment. I then told my dad about it and he knowing more then me calls PayPal and immediately paypal recognized it being a fruad and that the email was fake because paypal never sends and email telling you to ship the item and what not. So then i told the guy the item will not be shipped due to it being a scam and he still trying to convince me it was legit until i brought up the part where i told him i called paypal and it was fake after that he quickly cancled the order and never responded. Always call paypal for any id transaction or email you get and get it verified immediately so you dont waste time on these low life scammers
Login to Me Too

Welinthon1
Contributor
Contributor

I just experience the same situation. A lady named Sarah Khan bought an item i placed on ebay for 800. The lady paid 900 olus 200 shippingt cost. I started receiving emails supposdly from paypal telling me funds will be release once i send a tracking number for the shipment. Yerterday i went to the post office and tried shipping the package but because it was more than 200 i went back home only to find that the lady send me an additional 200 in order for me to send the package immediatly or she will be filing legal actions against me. i immediately called paypal to see what was going on and they informed me its a scam. The funny thing is that the buyer keeps insisting telling me its legit so i told her that i called the cops and paypal and they have all her information. its crazy how well they plan all this making it look legit. please be careful. i thank God i didnt send the package, even the guy at the post office toldme Nigeria is one of the most popular country for fraud. 

BE careful.... 

Her name is Sarah <removed> and she said shes sending it to her cousing Simon <removed>n in Nigeria 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Welinthon1

Just remember these things   >>>

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Karate_kid45
Its crazy how the scam goes way back and today it happened to me, i get an email from a guy who buys my xbox one within the 2nd day of it being up. He then supposedly pays through paypal and asks if i got an email from paypal about the money transaction, i originally asked $500 for it and he supposedly sent $700 and the transaction wouldn't be completed until i added a tracking number of the shippment. I then told my dad about it and he knowing more then me calls PayPal and immediately paypal recognized it being a fruad and that the email was fake because paypal never sends and email telling you to ship the item and what not. So then i told the guy the item will not be shipped due to it being a scam and he still trying to convince me it was legit until i brought up the part where i told him i called paypal and it was fake after that he quickly cancled the order and never responded. Always call paypal for any id transaction or email you get and get it verified immediately so you dont waste time on these low life scammers
Login to Me Too

Beth23-07
I gave a scammer my PayPal email but it hasn't got any money in the account. Is it safe??
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.