Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,005 REPLIES 1,005

m_stonge
New Community Member

I received nearly the exact same email about an item I have on Kijiji. Defintely fake/ scam.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone,

Just a friendly reminder here.  A few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.  We have recently merged, and will continue to merge, new threads as they are discovered into this one.  Please do not post examples elsewhere; please bring them to this thread.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses and phone numbers) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. By providing this information again, you are potentially re-victimizing that person.

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines for our moderation policies. 

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

MonikaM
New Community Member

I had put up a wedding dress for sale, and within an hour received interest from a buyer - Natalie (removed) . Thinking everything is legit they asked if i had a paypal account as this was the only way they could send funds and at the i did not, so i had gone and created one, once i had my account ready they said they would send payment. i then received 3 sepearate emails from a user  but under the email address of: stating the following:

аDear (MY EMAIL ADDRESS) ,

This email confirms that youа received an Instantаpayment ofа$3,550.00 CADа fromа Natalie (removed) аviaаPayPalаMERCHANDISE PaymentаService.

Reversals :аThis method of payment cannot be reversed.

View the "NOTE" of this pending transactionаbelow

next email from the same user/email:

Dear (MY EMAIL ADDRESS) ,

You have received a PayPal Payment of $3,550.00 CAD from Natalie (removed)

We've placed a temporary hold on the funds of this transaction

As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per new PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which included the Transport/Delivery Charges (Courier Exchange Logistics).

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved to your account. You are to go to the nearest Money Gram outlet, and send the excess sum of $750.00 CAD to the Transport Agent and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Money Gram Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format).

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction.

Questions? contact our 24/7 customer care for immediate response at <removed>.

Transport Company: "Move It"

Address:

(removed)

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction. As this transaction was done via our e-mail payments service, any inquiry and necessary information should be sent to us by directly replying to this message, because of the status of this transaction, it has not been passed on to our customer care phone service section and all inquiries should be directed to this e-mail address as it is the one monitored for your transaction.You can email us any time at <removed>.

followed by this last email:

Dear (MY EMAIL ADDRESS) ,

Regarding your Transaction with Natalie . The Funds will reflect in your PayPal account as soon as the Money Gram information is received from you. We want to notify you that a payment of $3,550.00 CAD has been deposited into our database by Natalie Gentile and it is ready to be credited into your account, the money was sent through the Service Option Secure Payment making this transaction to be protected with adequate security measures for you to be able to receive the funds.

So all you have to do now is to proceed to send the sum of $750.00 CAD through Money Gram Transfer to the confirmed shipping agent address and make sure you contact us with the necessary Money Gram details so that we can verify it and then credit your account. You can send the funds via any Money Gram outlet.

You are required to send the Money Gram information to us as stated below if you don't have a scanner:
(1) Sender's Name.
(2) Receiver's Name.
(3) Reference number.
(4) Amount Sent.
(5) Security Question and Answer.

We assure you that this is a safe and approved transaction and your account will be credited immediately we verify the Money Gram details. You can contact us anytime if you have any question(s) about this transaction. We want you to understand that the payment can't be reversed, canceled or splitted, so we assure you that you are 100% SECURED doing this transaction.
Once again be rest assured that you will have your funds credited immediately we receive the Money Gram Information from you for verification.
Sincerely,
A. Williams,
The PayPal Team.

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction. As this transaction was done via our e-mail payments service, any inquiries and necessary information should be sent to us by directly replying to this message, because of the status of this transaction, it has not been passed on to our customer care phone service section and all inquiries should be directed to this e-mail address as it is the one monitored for your transaction.You can email us any time at

Right off the bat this all seemed fishy: why would i send money to someone to confirm this transaction if i already confirmed my account with paypal, why were these emails not addressed to my name, why are these emails not from paypal but this email account, why are the fonts and colours of these emails all different?

I went into my paypal account and no transcations were found, next i called paypal to verify and confirmed this is all a scam, and these "people" (more like animals) do not work for Paypal and this is a scam.

Luckily I didnt get scammed, but wanted to post this out there for others just in case they have a simliar situation.

when in doubt contact paypal and verify!!

Hope this helps someone else 🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yep typical scam but can you edit your post and remove the email addy as that person could have and probably did hijack another account holders paypal account. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

cheez
Contributor
Contributor

I got this email- it made my antennae go up for some reason, but I did send a request for payment from paypal nonetheless- then later the same night i got a request almost identical to the one that initiated this transaction, so i got really worried- should i cancel it and stop communicating with this person? it does seem awfully strange. i dont know what to do, please help! here is the email she sent:

Hello ,
       Thanks for getting back to me asap I Agree with price you are
letting I located in California and am in the marine core, i am at sea
right now. I am buying this for my Dad as a surprise gift.I have read
the advert and I am satisfied with it, I can only pay through PayPal
at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online i don't
have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my pay-pal
account, and this is why insisted on using PayPal to pay..,all i will
need is your PayPal email address to make the payments and if you
don't have a PayPal account yet, you can set one log on to
www.paypal.com it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be
expecting your PayPal email so l can pay. their is a shipping company
that will come for the pick up after i have successfully make the
payment to your Account they will schedule time and date with you,I
will need your home address for Furniture to be Picked Up by the
Shipping Company  my name and address for all documentations regarding
the Furniture and all other documentations should be prepared by
my Pick Up Agent...

i will like you to send me your PayPal Details Below:

PayPal Name:
PayPal Email:
Total Amount
Phone Number:

Login to Me Too

bastable
Contributor
Contributor

this is actually ridiculous, im new to cyber world in a way... but just about got me the first time, 2nd time not so much, third time definitly not and was very scammers were actually pushy, ignorant, not business orientated at all, and can't spell, but still not a chance...

I want and need this to stop time consuming method , for them not to think of this is way to make money wheelin and deal'n.   Because it is a waste of time having them not being serious buyer's. I thought this was illegal, well maybe it will be POLICED a little more, I mean if they can catch those freaky pedophiles thank God, shame on them IDK how they could watch that?  >>>then by God catch these guys too. THANKS in advance..Police Officers!    I would like for them scammers to get hair cuts and a real job with honesty in place.  PLEASE??? or lock them up man!!!

Login to Me Too

GOWAMMOGO
Contributor
Contributor

http://scamcop.comThat's terrible. Any way to trace their IP address and punch em in the face?

Login to Me Too

I received an email almost word for word as the one you received. I was selling a Bronze on CL and received an email word for word like the one here. I almost fell for this, because I'm not so smart when it comes to paypal or the Internet. Then I received an email from paypal that looked authentic, except it said that the FBI was watching me as a scammer to buyers and for security I needed to keep our communications between just us and not to contact paypal because paypal wouldn't understand the agreement, because payment arrangments had been made thru an email service. At first she said that payment was thru paypal, now it's thru an email service. I called paypal and told them what was going on and they said it was a scam. Only difference is the name. This one was from Amanda Orf. Said she was an engineer on a ship out at sea and didn't have money grams at sea, so she demanded that I pay her pickup agent in the amount of $1000.00 and she would reimburse me, but only after she received comformation that the money gram had been sent to her pickup agent. What makes these people think we have that kind of money just laying around? I've seen several comments on emails exactly like the ones I've received. How come the officals can't catch these people. BEWARE people.

Login to Me Too

Yeah I've got the same exact thing happening right now. I thought I'd post the email thread up here so people can see.

|
Today, 1:27 PM
{{my name}} ({{my email}})
Inbox

Inbox

{{fake paypal email}}

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 3:25 AM, {{my name}} <{{my email}}> wrote:

I must have deleted the email, what was the address to send the receipt to Paypal please?

Sent: Saturday, 28 October 2017 1:00 PM

To: {{my name}}
    Subject: Re: Ad

Alright, you are to forward the moneygram transaction receipt to paypal customer care in charge of the transaction for verification by clicking contact us at any page of the payment notification you receive from paypal so that your account will be fully credited with immediate effect.

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 2:56 AM, {{my name}} <{{my email}}> wrote:

I went over to the money gram office and deposited the $750. Maybe it takes a while to go through.

Sent: Saturday, 28 October 2017 12:53 PM

Whats happening as i havent heard from you in regards of the pending transaction since i made the payment. Get back to me asap cuz am not feeling comfortable since the funds has been deducted in my account.

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 10:44 PM, {{scammers name}} <{{scammers email}}> wrote:

Hi, I just make the payment, check your paypal email for the payment notification from paypal and get back to me asap.

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 1:22 PM, {{my name}} <{{my email}}> wrote:

Yes ok, I'll delete is as soon as you get back to me. Thanks.

Sent: Friday, 27 October 2017 11:21 PM

Alright, i will let you know as soon as am through with the payment. You are to delete the AD since the sales has been concluded.

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 1:19 PM, {{my name}} <{{my email}}> wrote:

my paypal is my email, and it's {{my name}}.

Sent: Friday, 27 October 2017 11:18 PM

I think the price of $2,000 is fair enough, so just send me your paypal email and your account holder name so that I can make the payment. Thanks

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 1:16 PM, {{my name}} <{{my email}}> wrote:

mint condition $2000

Sent: Friday, 27 October 2017 11:14 PM
                        To: {{my email}}
                        Subject: Ad

whats the condition and your best price

Login to Me Too

temp20190415
Contributor
Contributor

I just got a very similar buyer. It sounds strange to me mine is different from yours except for part where he says I am satisfied with item as described. He sent me same way to pay and I went to paypal and sent a invoice now he wants me to pay shipping and he will send me the money also want the transaction to go on at same time. I dont know item is strange for a guy in Chicago to order from me in New Brunswick Canada. Its an Engine from a truck no easy shipping item and not rare so why order from me. Dont get ood feeling about this. I will wait till he pays invoice then go from there I guess. I sent a second invoice as shipping cost and told him he could pay that when his shipper contacts me....which I doubt will occur. The western Union thing is strange.

there details are  Chicago phone number and a e mail. Why does Paypal not have a place to report in suspected scams at the moment there occuring and send all info such as numbers names and emails?

Ragspp

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.