Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,005 REPLIES 1,005

gossettng
New Community Member

I received several emails that looked like this, it is not official, do not click on it, do not share any of your information!

Sent: Monday, November 26, 2018 12:30 PM
To: UNPERMITTED ADDRESSES, EDITED OUT
Subject: Re: A payment receipt to FlightClub Sneaker(UNPERMITTED ADDRESS, EDITED OUT). - on Monday, November 26, 2018,

Monday, November 26, 2018,
Transaction ID: X3XHAKHV78UKI3J5YN

Dear Customer,

You sent a payment of $200.00 USD to FlightClub Sneaker.
(UNPERMITTED ADDRESS, EDITED OUT)

it may take some time until this transaction to appear in your PayPaI account, Merchant
FlightClub Sneaker.UNPERMITTED ADDRESS, EDITED OUT

Instructions for merchants
You haven't entered any instructions.
Shipping address - confirmed
Anthony <removed>
<removed>
Dayton, OH 45402
United States. Shipping details
SeIIer haven't icluded a shippingDescriptionUnit PriceQualityAmount

YEEZY BOOST 350 V2 "ZEBRA"

$200.00 USD1 $200.00 USD Shipping
Subtotal

$0.00 USD
$200.00 USD Total
$200.00 USD Payment $200.00 USD Payment sent to UNPERMITTED ADDRESS, EDITED OUT  

Invoice : lNV/7ORZ/O1RA/E85TYou don't recognize this transaction? UNPERMITTED ADDRESS, EDITED OUT

You have 24 Hour from the date of the transaction to open a "DISPUTE" in the Resolution Center.
Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, and click help in the top right corner of any page.

Consumer Advisory -  Ltd., the holder of stored value facility
does not require the approval of the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
Users are advised to read the terms and conditions carefully.

Login to Me Too

leesabella
New Community Member

I received one today as well same point of contact: 

Shipping address - confirmed
Anthony <removed>
<removed>
Dayton, OH 45402
United States. Shipping details
SeIIer haven't icluded a shipping 

Login to Me Too

Catabella
New Community Member

Boy am I glad I researched this topic... I had a similar problem with a sale through Offerup, the buyer kept insisting on paying me through Paypal saying that he was buying it for someone else who was local, while he was not.  This seemed odd to me, his whole story did, my gut absolutely screamed SCAM!!!

The buyer's message read something like this...

@PayPal_Adrian wrote:

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

@PayPal_Adrian wrote:

Hello everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

“Thank you for your affirmative reply.I don't have problem with your asking price. Would you be able to help me ship it to my sister in Georgia? I will offer you an extra $90 for the shipping. Do you accept PayPal ?”

Sellers please beware, these scammers get more creative by the minute.

Login to Me Too

Angus79
Contributor
Contributor
I got this email Transaction ID 9RK16549KP756060A Transaction date Oct 24, 2021 00:21:20 EDT Merchant Description Unit price Qty Amount $14.95 USD 1 $14.95 USD Subtotal $14.95 USD Total $14.95 USD Payment $14.95 USD
Login to Me Too

NewGuy2323
I’m trying to sell some Apparel on Kijiji and first got a text to email a woman who claims to be a Sargent at a base and can’t pick up the items herself. She had then told me PayPal will send me and email to confirm our transaction but it didn’t look legitimate & also asked me to send $390 to someone to be known as a pick up agent. After I told her I don’t have $390 to send she claimed I’m a scammer and then I got this email saying there’s an FBI investigation on me from PayPal
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NewGuy2323 

Yeah they always threaten legal action, hilarious, the FBI would be so interested in a solitary paypal sale...........err not.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ONEliveBADGER57
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I am selling a caravan, and this is the response I got from the buyer.

Thank you for the Response,I am okay with the condition Likewise your
asking price is quite reasonable and affordable considering others
I've seen lately , I'll have it for the  price . I'm interested and
consider it sold as seen am buying it as a surprise Birthday gift for
my son. Are you assuring me i will not be disappointed? I work with
the Military and presently in camp serving the nation which is
strictly no calls. My Mode of payment is PayPal because i don't have
access to my bank account online cause am out of town on job duties,
but i have it attached to my PayPal account. Since I'm requesting this
transaction to be done via PayPal, I will be responsible for all the
PayPal fees/charges on this transaction, if you don't have an account
with PayPal, it's pretty easy, safe an secure to open one. Just log on
to www.paypal.co.uk . I hope we can complete this transaction as soon
as possible. Less I forgot,I wll not be able to view due to nature of
job but I have a Mover that will come for pickup once payment is
cleared in your PayPal account and they will be handling the title for
me. I look forward to hearing from you with your PayPal information as
requested below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Address for Pick Up:
Phone Number:

Awaiting your response asap.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ONEliveBADGER57 

YEP TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment.
They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via anther payment processor than Paypal OR via providing some vouchers or tokens BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the caravan, they just want that couriers/shipping funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Temp20230526AS
New Community Member

Pay Pal
  Date:01/30/2020
Order Reference:38392409055D867090X

Got this e-mail today.
Dear Customer

You sent a payment of 449.99 To Camro Computer solution llc.

This may take upto 48 working hours to appear in your statement

To Reach a customer help desk Dial[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/strong>

NB:

This Email may reach your spam box in case of ip dislocation of machine.
Merchant
Camro Computer solution llc.
Instructions to merchant
You do not have any instruction for the merchant .

Description Unit price Qty Amount
Your order at Camro Computer solution llc. (457463) 449.99 1 449.99

Subtotal 449.99
Total 449.99

Payment 449.99
Charge will appear on your credit card statement as 'Camro Computer solution llc.'
Order sent to Camro Computer solution llc.

Issues with this Payment?
You have 10 days from the date of the transaction to open a dispute.

To Reach a customer help desk Dial [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]/span>

PayPal
<removed>
Seattle California 98145
United States

NOTE:If email received in your spam box ask service desk to verify machine identity/f341dcad1462fa2e3dd064062669884ec88680ff">.
Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20230526AS 

Typical SCAM.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.