Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

ellamezule
Contributor
Contributor

I recieved an email from an Irish marine biologist, who wanted to buy some of my works as a gift to his Dad, The problem was- he couldn't use his bank account but could use PayPal. after severeal messages I googled that the same letter is sent to many people, just changing his name and the one to whom gift will be given.

read this

I Am Samuel <removed> from Ireland. I am a marine biologist and am currently at sea at the moment, i am buying the item as a gift for my Dad, i want to make it a surprise for him,he wont know anything about the item until they get delivered to him, i can only pay through Paypal as i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking,but i have my bank account attached to my Paypal account and this is why i insisted on paying you through Paypal,So please kindly get back to me  with your  Paypal details and your best price for the item so i can proceed with  the payment and after the payment has been done, i have a pick up agent that will come around to pick the item up so don't add shipping fees and will be done after i have made the payments for the item.

The last message was this

I was just about to make the payments when i had this little problem with the picking up of the item , I am currently on sea and i am buying the item  for my Dad as i explained earlier on and i tried to book pick up with my pick up agent, but they asked me to pay first before they can make the booking, and they only accept Money gram Transfer for payments and they don't accept Paypal or  bank transfer and I tried to send the money online but i couldn't and I am on sea and there is no way i can find a Money gram agent to make the transfer to my pick up agent, so i wanted to ask if it was ok for me to include my pick up agent's fees in the payments I am about to send through Paypal, my pick up agent charged €450  plus insurance and all of that, please can i include their money in the payments I want to send then after i have made the payments you will help me forward the €450  to my pick up agent through Money gram Transfer,this I would have done myself and not bother you but the for the fact that I am currently on sea, so after I have made the payments you will help me send €450   to my pick up agent through Money gram Transfer,I just want to seek your consent before going ahead with the payments,I will more than appreciate if you mail me back, and I will be making the payments shortly.

PS:the shipping company's Head quarters and any pick up fees to be paid is sent to their head quarters by the payee, so the money for pick up will be sent to their head quarters  through Money gram Transfer(this can be done from any post office) at Money gram office.  

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ellamezule

Yes scam has been ongoing for years and is all over the internet, glad you were not caught out, always remember.............

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle or item that is collected by the buyer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

deeritt
New Community Member

An email from ahamwapaypal?  Says I contributed to the Heart Association. What?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@deeritt

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email to ''cancel'' the transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

jbugc
Contributor
Contributor

I just received an email from Paypal telling me that I need to pay a $53 annual fee by a certain date or my account will be limited.  Is this right?  I've had paypal for a long time now and never have I had to pay an annual fee.  I'm wondering if it's real or a scam.  Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Bibac99
New Community Member

Hello!
I am selling a camera. Someone wants to send me the money for it, but I should pay 200e before I get my money. It's pretty weird.
I have send the screenshots on spoof@paypal.com but I am still waiting for the answer.

Please answer me
Thank you

Vanja <removed>

Login to Me Too

markjl
Contributor
Contributor

Mail entitled "Your money is your choice."

From <removed>

Phishing email links to <removed> .....

Content of mail

Mark <removed> - Confirm your info to keep money in your PayPal balance. View Online
Your money, your choice.
Confirm your info to keep money
in your PayPal balance.
If you'd like to keep a PayPal balance, please
take a minute to confirm your info here.
Here are some of the great ways to use the money in your PayPal balance:
• Send money to family and friends in the US for free
• Securely shop and pay online
• Pay for bills and subscriptions with ease
• Get access to cool, new features like Money Pools, Goals and more
Don't want to keep money in your PayPal balance?
That's OK by us. Here are two other great options:
Debit card
Use an eligible debit card to get your
money in minutes for a $0.25 fee
with Instant Transfer.*
Bank
Transfer directly to your bank in
about a day for free.
*$0.25 per transfer to consumer account. For business account, see fees on our pricing page.
Transfers typically occur in 30 minutes or less.
Want to spend and send money securely
from your PayPal balance today?
Confirm Your Info

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@markjl

Can you edit and remove that scam link from this forum please?

Glad you were not caught out..............

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

markjl
Contributor
Contributor

Removed that link sorry.

I nearly did, what with the return address ending paypal.com

and the presentation being spot on.

One link seemed to link to paypal but gave an error

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@markjl

Scammers are getting cleverer with their phishing emails  Smiley Frustrated

Just remember paypal would never ask you to update information or log in via an unsafe link in an email.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.