Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20230526ap

This is a typical scam ..................

They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout. They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
They don't quibble on cost and may also say they can't view the item as they are disabled or working abroad etc etc but they will arrange a shipping agent to collect it.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.
Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Temp20230526ap
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for that it's exactly what I thought. There was no way I was going to pay out any money before I'd received the funds but I just wanted to check first..
Login to Me Too

Ahess
New Community Member
I got word for word the same thing. I was going to call paypal customer service to check. I asked for the person number and they apparently have hearing loss. All I did was tag the confirmation number and got to this.
Login to Me Too

Bean4
New Community Member
I received an email from PayPal saying I had money but I needed to wire money before getting paid for merchandise is this right
Login to Me Too

Dagmara1907
New Community Member
I got an email quoting: Dear Costumer We found problem on your PayPal account You can view your problem and download UpdateStatement in the form (Pdf) we have provided Sincerely, PayPal Please Do Not Reply You Are Receiving This Email Becaus You Are A Regisered Member Of PayPal Read Our Privacy Policy, Security and Protection If You Have Any Questions 1999-2018 PayPal All Rights Reserved If anyone else receives it please IGNORE IT as it’s SCAM! ALWAYS CHECK THE SENDERS EMAIL ADDRESS AND THE LINK ON THE WEBSITE BEFORE YOU ENTER ANY PEDSONAL DETAILS!!! There is also a attachment with the email one you click on the link you will see it’s not PayPal true website.
Login to Me Too

HeshamAdel
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Gentlemen
i create an account with my friend visa and i want to sell my car, therefor someone sent me money
not im not sure about the mail i receive 
 is that mail safe?
because after that i delete my friend card info

<removed>

?

he just send me the amount from the mail above ^
so is this mail save to put my card info and receive the amount?
also there is a transaction ID 

thats the whole mail

PAYMENT RECEIVED
Payer IDOrder datePayment dateTransaction ID
Michael <removed>
25/04/2018
25/04/2018
8E934284********
   Paid To :******************
Date Description Quantity Unit price Amount
25/04/2018

25/04/2018

PURCHASED 

Moving Company

Western union/Stress fees  

$*******

$*****

$******
  $******
   $*****

$*******
SubtotalTotal
$********** USD
$1********* USD

Login to Me Too

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@HeshamAdel

That is not an email from PayPal and PayPal should only be used for a small deposit to hold a vehicle until the buyer shows in person with cash.

PayPal shouldn't be used for the entire purchase amount when buying or selling vehicles.

Here is a PayPal link with details on fake emails.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/How-to-spot-fake-emails-FAQ2340

Login to Me Too

Ladycj
New Community Member

I bought a new phone on Saturday and whilst transferring the info from my old phone an old email that I don't remember seeing before popped up and said that I had been charged $99 for an item on Pay pal that I did not order or receive. I have been trying to get hold of someone at PayPal (3 hour wait) as no transactions are showing up on my account. I have rarely used PayPal. How do I approach this? Has this happened to anyone before? Thanks.

Login to Me Too

alexis99

Hello

I have received an email payment and every time I click "Claim Your Money" it takes me to the Log In or create and account page, and when I log in nothing happens???

Thank you

Login to Me Too

guisug
New Community Member

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 1.10.44 PM.pngHello community, I just received this email saying something about my Paypal password. The thing is that I feel it is a SPAM or some sort of mechanism to obtain my Login credentials. Can anyone help me out to decide whether it is fake or not? THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.