Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Qutie424
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing just happened to me!!!

He was really impatient and he wasn't making any sense. 

He said that he lived in CA, but his phone number was GA, and he said he wanted it shipped international. 

I am selling a laptop and he paid $200 extra to send it to Nigeria!! 

I asked him where he was, and he said he was still in Georgia, but he wants it shipped to Nigeria for a business trip there.......

He sent money to my Paypal but the money is pending. 

This is the address he confirmed: 

Postal Address:
                Ta** ke****                     <removed>
                    Island, *****                    Lagos, Nigeria.                   I wondered why I couldn't find this address on Google Maps! It doesn't exist!DO NOT FALL FOR THIS IT IS A SCAM

Login to Me Too

einatgilman17

SAME THING JUST HAPPENED TO ME !! SAME EXACT ADDRESS ! USED PHONE NUMBER 580-262-6904 

WHAT CAN I DO !! PLEASE HELP ME . ITS $490 !! IPHONE 😞

I SHIPPED IT OUT ON SATURDAY , WENT TO MY POST OFFICE THIS MORNING , ITS ALREADY HALF WAY THERE,,,,THEY TOLD ME THEY CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT ! I REPORTED THE SCAMMER ON EBAY BUT THATS USELESS 

ANY ADVICE ? I WILL BE FILING A POLICE REPORT BUT IM IN THE US ! THATS PROBABLY NOT GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE , WHY ISNT THIS PERSON UNDER INVESTIGATION OR UNDER ARREST !!!!!!! 

Login to Me Too

glowfish51
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry to hear this! I'm not sure they'll do anything unfortunately! Absolutely no way you'll get anything back from this place unless you physically turn up there - which I certainly don't advise! Do let us know how you get on with police. Good luck!
Login to Me Too

Peanutdla
What happened did u ever see it again
Login to Me Too

einatgilman17

SAME THING JUST HAPPENED TO ME !! SAME EXACT ADDRESS ! USED PHONE NUMBER 580-262-6904 

WHAT CAN I DO !! PLEASE HELP ME . ITS $490 !! IPHONE 😞

I SHIPPED IT OUT ON SATURDAY , WENT TO MY POST OFFICE THIS MORNING , ITS ALREADY HALF WAY THERE,,,,THEY TOLD ME THEY CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT ! I REPORTED THE SCAMMER ON EBAY BUT THATS USELESS 

ANY ADVICE ? I WILL BE FILING A POLICE REPORT BUT IM IN THE US ! THATS PROBABLY NOT GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE , WHY ISNT THIS PERSON UNDER INVESTIGATION OR UNDER ARREST !!!!!!! 

IF YOUR SAYING THIS ADDRESS DIDNT EXCIST WHERE ARE THEY SHIPPING IT TO ? 

Login to Me Too

emma_burke33
New Community Member
This was just about to happen to me! Pretty much same deal, only $200 for shipping and he lives in Texas and originally wanted it sent to Alberta, then changed the address to Nigeria. I'm thankful that the FedEx ladies helped me figure out this is a scam
Login to Me Too

Spirit143
New Community Member

This same exact thing just happened to me. The person used this information: Name: Dammy <removed> and Sandra <removed> Phone number: <removed> Address: <removed> City: Surulere State: Lagos Country Nigeria Zip code: +23401

Login to Me Too

Quicksterx
Contributor
Contributor

Just happened to me today. exactly as you guys described, the whole 100 dollars extra to ship To Agege, Lagos, Nigeria. I would have lost my laptop if UPS didnt tell me that they dont ship to that area and then I went online to do some research, Thank God. I hate these scams theres so much going around right now. Be on the look out  for the 9000 grant cell phone call. Stay smart and safe!

Login to Me Too

Figgyv18
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me, I was selling my old iPhone on eBay in which the buyer then texted me after purchase saying they'd be paying later that day or the following morning in which I thought was fine at first. Then came the morning when the buyer contacted me saying a payment was made and that to have it shipped asap to be a birthday gift for the nephew "Martin <removed" <removed> Agege Lagos state Nigeria 23401" this was all from the phone number: <removed> By the name of buyer: Rathore eBay username: satimata2017 (listed under as being in India) All while I kept asking what "12f" stood for in an address because it occurred to me this wasn't a Normal address so in response I played along and the person said it meant the house number in which I continued to play along and said I would be shipping it tomorrow although I've gone through and attempted to see if the address brought up anything and nothing andthe situation was very sketchy so in response I have unlisted and canceled the sale.

Login to Me Too

PJ01
New Community Member

This was almost going to happen to me as well. The "buyer"  had the same phone # and address. They even tried to continue a deal after they deleted their eBay account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.