Examples of Suspected Fraud/Fake Emails

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello everyone!

One of the greatest strengths consumers possess against fraud and phishing is education and collaboration.  To help support your safety online, I'm going to open this special thread up for you.  Here, you can post examples of what you believe to be attempts by individuals to defraud you or others of their hard earned valuables and money. 

Before we begin, a few housekeeping points:

• We will be using this as a "master thread," so if we find an example in other areas of the boards, we may merge the post into this one.

• For everyone's safety, please remove any last names or contact information (including email addresses) from your examples.  In many instances, the names provided by fraudsters are fake or may actually be the name of someone they already defrauded. 

• On that same note, please don't ever attempt to confront a fraudster or attempt to track them down.  Instead, turn the information you do have over to your local authorities. 

• Please also remove any links from your posts, as these could potentially go to spoofed or phishing websites.

Other than that, we only ask that you keep it productive and stay within the Forum Decorum and posting guidelines.  I'll be stopping in on a regular basis to clean house and comment on posts, so don't be surprised if you see my mug - or another moderator - stopping in to say hello! 

With that said, I'm going to start moving posts in, so you might see some older examples mixed in with the new posts.  I hope this thread becomes a great resource for everyone!

Stay safe,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too
1,005 REPLIES 1,005

princessD1
New Community Member

SO GLAD i came across this page on paypal. 
iv been cammed before by someone that tooks lots of money for a vaction so I know how it feels.
BASICALLY this is the guys so called address: <removed> LAGOS, NIGERIA.
NAME: ANDY <removed>. 
some guy who wants my phone for 300$ based on the condition which was weird, and wants to send it to his friend and hes in some WAC training lol ..
im so glad i came across this page and read some reviews. STAY AWAY from this GUY PLEASE!! 
also hes texting from : <removed>

I msged him saying your a scammer etc, check your reviews online and his reply to me was: LOL, and after i replied saying stop samming people he repled saying mind your own business.. LOL low lifes 

Login to Me Too

sina2000
New Community Member

Hey guys,

I just had the same problem !

I had an iphone 5 listed on ebay to sell, this guy called Erick <removed> emailed me after he bought the item and said he needs the item to be posted to an address in FL in the US and I agreed, he emailed me just today with new information saying : 

============

I precisely purchased the item on behalf of a folk of mine in West Africa who has been transferred to serve as a missionary in Nigeria. I will be leaving for a program so I'm seeking your help in getting the item posted to him in Nigeria.

I have sorted out the postage costs on post office website and I will be adding it accordingly to the costs of the item. Payment would be made through Paypal ASAP. Below Is the postage address which would also be confirmed by Paypal and eBay.

Olamide <removed>
<removed>
Surulere, Lagos
Nigeria
Phone: <removed>

Please let me know if you are having any problem with this.

Regards

Erick

============

exactly same email format .

apparently this guy has quite a few addresses or friends in Nigeria and goes by many names.

I'm really tired of this Nigerian rubbish !

reported the guy to ebay and paypal .

Beware and be safe

Sina

Login to Me Too

znnco
New Community Member

hey Sina,

I am new to ebay and after reading your post. i can 100% confirm that my buyer is a scam.

I just received an email from " buyer".  The content almost the same ....on behalf of a folk ..in West Africa....Olamide <removed>... Nigeria.

Thanks for sharing.

From

znnco

Login to Me Too

RocioRipoll
New Community Member

I just have received this e-mail!! What do you think about it?

Hello,
This is Mr Raymond from New York, i want to order for some products. Please let me know if
you ship international direct to my customer with this her below details

Mrs Joy <removed>
<removed>
city: ijeshatedo,
state: Lagos
Zip code: 101015

I will be very happy if you can ship via postal service priority.
You can outsource the needed products for me if you do not currently have them in stock
as we just need quality made supplements.

We will make payment information available with my Visa credit card..
Waiting for your mail.

Thanks
phone number: <removed>
Raymond <removed>

Login to Me Too

KarchAmadeo
Contributor
Contributor

Second time using paypal and had a scam 😕

Ship to: 
Address: 

Gabriel <removed>
<removed>
Surulere.
Lagos
Nigeria 23401

From it, but the interesting part was the secondary e-mail used to scam.

pay-pal_deskverificationteam@mail

Used various paypal logos throughout the years, Paypal USA specifically and many things dispalying the Paypal purchase protection.  Though the buyer used a California based phone number. 

Oh yea, the original email used was Jordangilbert798

Hate that this stuff still continues, but gotta admire the tenacity these guys have. If only comcast customer service had their drive >_>

Login to Me Too

GalaxyGrand
New Community Member

OMG

Thanks God I have found your threat before to post the cellphone I was selling. 

A Guy from Nigeria interested in buy it, before some time talking and asking about the phone, I received an Email ( false ) from Paypal, I found that suspect and I decided to search on the internet about. The adress he is using is:

Name used: Mendez <removed>

Adress:

Nome : Daniel <rmoved>
Endereço : <removed>
Sate : Lagos
País : Nigeria
CEP : 23401

Thank you guys, Take Care!
Login to Me Too

ashrox
New Community Member

ADD THIS ONE TO THE LIST

CARREY <removed>

<removed>

SURULERE

LAGOS

NIGERIA

He wanted my Samsung galaxy s6 edge, for his wife in Nigera

He's apparently away for work in Toronto.

Offered to send it directly to my bank account.

Offered to pay me more than I had asked for

NO THANKS, BE SAFE EVERYONE

Login to Me Too

jasonpalmer1981
New Community Member

Standard Nigeria. This one used an American buyers account and email to attempt to defraud me of a Mac Pro I was selling.

After getting an email from ebay advising of the fraud.

Hi Mate,

I just received an email from eBay saying something is wrong with my ebay account, I knew where the problem came from. It was my daughter who had to log on to my ebay account to view the purchase, But ebay had thought it was a third party due to their over zealousness. they decided to protect us both. The issues with my account have now been resolved and am sure you must have receive confirmation from ebay kindly check your mailbox including your Spam/Junk to find it.

Am sorry i didn't inform you I precisely purchased the item as a Gift on behalf of a folk of mine in West Africa who has been transferred to serve as a missionary in Nigeria.I have sorted out the postage costs on the Pack&Send or fedEx website and i will be adding it accordingly to the costs of the item and i want it posted via Pack&Send.

Here Is the postage address

Name: Skesh <removed>
Address: <removed>
City: Surulere, Lagos, 23401

I will pay immediately via paypal and please remember to post via Pack&Send.

Many Thanks

I then get

Hi mate,I just want to tell you that I have sent the payment I'm sure you must have received the confirmation email from PayPal by now, so I would like you to get the item posted via Pack&Send and email paypal the shipment reference number as soon as possible.

Here is the postal address below.

Name: Skesh <removed>,
Address: <removed>
City: Surulere, Lagos, 23401

Many Thanks.

So I send... 🙂

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your email and purchase. I have sent the item, however I did not see this email in time and it has been sent to the address listed in North Conneticutt USA, however I am sure you can send the item on to Skesh in Lagos.

Please enjoy your purchase.

Jason

Yeaaaa buddy..not happening

Login to Me Too

Heartweaver
Contributor
Contributor

I have someone who said that they wanted to buy my Chromebook on Craigslist and asked me to send a gift to his son in Nigeria, and his address is very similar to the one that you mentioned. I asked if he wants to meet up to inspect my Chromebook, he refused, saying that he is busy with work, which makes me suspicious. Maybe I am biased as I tend to be suspicious of Nigerians due to copious amounts of scams. I asked for £50 for the Chromebook, and he seemed to have sent me £27 (maybe he thinks it's dollars), and I said it would require another £100 to ship to his address. He said he would pay me if I could make sure it reaches before Christmas, which is not possible. I asked him to just buy it locally from a store in Nigeria and send it to his son, and he has stopped replying.

The weird thing is, Paypal claims the £27 was from my bank account, when my bank account does not have that much money in it (I suspect that the email is forged to give me false reassurance). I checked my Paypal history and the guy's Paypal account does not appear in my history. Apparently the money was just magically transferred from my bank account 6 hours ago when I was not online at that time and did not have the money. I have no way of returning the money. I asked him if he sent me money and asked if I could return it, and he never replied.

Login to Me Too

caryn84

I literally got the exact same message: 

I just received an email from eBay saying something is wrong with my ebay account, I knew where the problem came from. It  was my daughter who had to log on to my ebay account to view the purchase, But ebay had thought it was a third party due to their over zealousness. they decided to protect us both. The issues with my account have now been resolved and confirmed by ebay.

How are you doing ? I precisely purchased the item on behalf of a folk of mine in West Africa who has been transferred to serve as a missionary in Nigeria. I have sorted out the postage costs on the Pack&Send or fedEx or Australia Air Mail website and i will be adding it accordingly to the costs of the item and i want the posted via Pack&Send or fedEx or Australia Air Mail.

Here Is the postage address

Name: Larry <removed>
<removed>
Lawanson, Surulere,
Lagos, 23401
Nigeria

mobile :<removed>

Many Thanks

Aaron

Thankfully my husband is in IT and told me not to do anything. Mind you, i would never ever had sent the item without payment and after working in a bank I can spot the frauds. 

This was my reply: 

Thanks for getting back to me Aaron. I found it odd a man wanting a wedding dress but I’m sure that there are a lot more things in the world which would be stranger than a man wearing a wedding dress.

I mean, look at the Pope and Donald Trump arguing. The fact that sometimes it rains in the middle of summer. That it’s illegal to chew chewing gum in Singapore. In France it is illegal to kiss on the train. That I have **bleep** and a penis.

I mean the odds that I would honestly send you a wedding dress worth over $4000 before legit receiving a payment that isn’t a scammed email payment are seriously slim. I mean you are more likely to die by a donkey killing you than me sending you that dress.

Better luck next time loser!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.