Emailed seller shortly after placing an order to cancel it - 24 hours later they shipped anyway

Gav_B
Contributor
Contributor

I'd appreciate guidance as to how to deal with this situation.

Last Wednesday I placed an order for something around 13:00 via a website using PayPal.  That evening I realised the item wasn't quite what I thought it was and replied to the order confirmation email (as instructed by them) to cancel the order.  This was around 19:30 the same day I placed the order.  The email was sent from the same account the order was placed with.

I received no email back so emailed again the following day to request cancellation and refund and to ensure the item did not ship.  No reply from the seller.

The following day I received a shipping notification.  I emailed again to say that I did not want the item, could they confirm that they had received the cancellation request. No reply from the seller.

I emailed again the following day requesting some sort of acknowledgement of any of my emails at all.  This time I also included another gmail account listed on the seller's site (which is the one they mentioned to use for requesting returns information).  No reply from either of the seller's email addresses.

I have to now assume that the item has shipped and it transpires from the tracking info email that it is shipping from China (this was not apparent from the site when the order was placed).  I can't get any response from the seller and I'd just like my money back. 

What should I do if the item turns up in the 10-20 days that were mentioned in the order confirmation email?  I'm not looking to do the company out of a product, however I also refuse to be responsible for any return shipping fees as I clearly cancelled the order 24 hours before it shipped.  That said, I can't get any form of response from the seller at all so I have no idea where it would even require returning to.

What's the right way to approach this through PayPal with a view to simply getting my money back promptly?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Gav_B,

Thanks for reaching out on our Community Help Forum! Unfortunately, we don't offer the option to cancel a transaction once it's begun. You can file a dispute if the item is never sent or the item you received is not as described, but we don't require our merchants to refund a transaction without first opening a dispute or claim. To review that process a bit further, please see the following Help Center article: I didn't receive my item or it's different than described. Should I open a dispute?

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.