Email scam?

ARMatey
Contributor
Contributor

I received and email today from PayPal that seems suspicious. 

It stated  "We're contacting you to acknowledge that you've authorized us to use the following bank account(s) to fund PayPal transactions, where you choose a bank account as your funding source:"

I haven't authorized anything. 

Anyone else get a suspicious email?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for bringing your additional concerns regarding these emails to our attention, and I apologize for any frustration you've encountered regarding this situation. 

For clarification, this post is marked as the solution simply to float it to the top of the thread. This ensures that anyone that opens this post sees the reply. I understand that some may not feel the issue is resolved, but this is simply to keep the response at the top. Thanks for your understanding.

Regarding the post, the email address being used is owned by PayPal. Again, this email in the form that has previously been described is from PayPal. If you have received an email that sounds similar but doesn't match the previous description, or you feel the email is not legitimate, you can forward the email to spoof@paypal.com to verify the validity of the message.

I apologize for the confusion regarding information given by some of our team - I'll ensure that feedback is passed on and that our whole team is informed correctly regarding these emails.

Thanks for your time and understanding regarding this, please let us know here if you have any additional questions or concerns. 🙂

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
29 REPLIES 29

Anna84
Contributor
Contributor

Hi A.P ( my original full name) 

We're contacting you to acknowledge that you've authorized us to use the following bank account(s) to fund PayPal transactions, where you choose a bank account as your funding source:

Ending in <removed>

There is no action needed from you. You can view the terms of the Pre-Authorized Debit Agreement by visiting PayPal.com, clicking on Legal at the bottom of the page, and then selecting PayPal PAD Agreement.

If you have questions about any of these terms or your account, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for being a PayPal customer.

Sincerely,

PayPal

The issue that I never had such bank account. But the Email looks original from any side you look on it. 

I pretty sure the Email is genuine. If somebody received such email today?

Login to Me Too

DannyZlol
New Community Member

I came here for the same reason, in gmail under to me, it said it was from mkt2944. I think it just got around gmail's spam filter but I don't understand the motive of these emails.

Login to Me Too

davemmett
New Community Member

I had this same email.

Nothing bad appears to have happened in my account, but I can't decipher the PayPal phone support menu to actually speak to a human about this.

I definitely didn't change any banking info with PayPal recently.

Login to Me Too

LOrser
Contributor
Contributor
I received this too. It is worrisome because it does address me with my full name, as PayPal does. The ending digits for the supposed bank account do not match mine though.
Login to Me Too

juldum
Contributor
Contributor
I got this email as well. Things seem to match up with how my PayPal account is currently set up, but what’s odd is the implication that something triggered this even though I haven’t made any recent changes to my account. If this is a legit communication, it should have stated it wasn’t triggered by any user intervention.
Login to Me Too

theroundfox

I just received the same email as well, not sure what's going on with it. The last 4 digits of the account they mention was a bank account I had linked to Paypal years ago, but it was also removed years ago.

I haven't made any changes to my Paypal account recently, or even used/logged into it in the last several months.

Not sure what the email means.

Login to Me Too

lindagrobert
New Community Member

Hello I've recently received an email from paypal saying 

We're contacting you to acknowledge that you've authorized us to use the following bank account(s) to fund PayPal transactions, where you choose a bank account as your funding source:

Ending in xxxx

There is no action needed from you. You can view the terms of the Pre-Authorized Debit Agreement by visiting PayPal.com, clicking on Legal at the bottom of the page, and then selecting PayPal PAD Agreement.

I'm not sure why I received this email considering I didn't make any recent changes to my settings.  Any ideas? 

Linda

Login to Me Too

filch
Contributor
Contributor

Got this this afternoon and while the message headers all look legit, I am suspicious of this email, which came out of the blue and I have never had an email like this from PayPal and, it does not look like the kind of email they would send out. Anyone else get this and any response from PayPal?

Hi Dave <removed>,

Ending in ####

There is no action needed from you. You can view the terms of the Pre-Authorized Debit Agreement by visiting PayPal.com, clicking on Legal at the bottom of the page, and then selecting PayPal PAD Agreement.

If you have questions about any of these terms or your account, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for being a PayPal customer.

Sincerely,

PayPal

Login to Me Too

Allie2019
Contributor
Contributor

I also received this email. The last four digits appear to be linked to an old bank account I closed in 2015 and removed from my PayPal account around the same time.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.