Email scam?

ARMatey
Contributor
Contributor

I received and email today from PayPal that seems suspicious. 

It stated  "We're contacting you to acknowledge that you've authorized us to use the following bank account(s) to fund PayPal transactions, where you choose a bank account as your funding source:"

I haven't authorized anything. 

Anyone else get a suspicious email?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
29 REPLIES 29

USD100
Contributor
Contributor
I got this email too. I sent a message to resolution centre and hope I can get a response soon.
Login to Me Too

cky312
New Community Member

Same problem here, but like another concerned user has expressed this email included bank account info. More concerning is this was an "OLD" and previously already removed bank account number that was sent to me. What the heck PayPayl?

Login to Me Too

Do_something
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_AshleyM  Could you remove the "solved" status and review our unresolved concerns. There is concern that this is indeed a breach based on some feedback from your CS agents via phone and the email addresses and broken links associated with the email. This issue also seems to be impacting Canadians, largely. Please investigate and provide an update.

Thanks for you prompt action.

Login to Me Too

ARMatey
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting reply, but I never provided bank information...

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi @ARMatey,

Interesting - have you ever had a bank account on your PayPal account at any point in time since you opened it? If so, this is the information that was pulled when the email was initiated. If you're not sure, you can always reach us on Facebook or Twitter for more information regarding the status of any financials, past or present, on your account. 

In addition, again, if you feel this email is not valid, please forward it to spoof@paypal.com. Check the link I provided above regarding the legitimacy of an email, as it provides information on how to spot a fake email. You'll also notice that the email itself isn't asking you to do anything specific or to click any links. The link provided simply goes to our User Agreement and the update related to this email. If you don't feel comfortable, you can instead follow the instructions in the email to get to our "Legal" page where the information has been provided.

Another user also mentioned that this was mainly affecting Canadian customers; this is correct, as the update was directly related to Canadian accounts and those would be the only users that would have received this notice. 

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

boyzmom33
Contributor
Contributor

I received the same email and the numbers do not match anything on my account at all. This seems very suspicious as I do not have any debit attached to my account. If this is legitimate then Paypal needs to investigate why all of us are receiving emails with erroneous information

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AshleyM

Hi @boyzmom33,

I definitely appreciate your concern regarding this and I can advise that we are already doing just that. The information sent to some customers reflected old details on their account that are no longer active, and we're investigating why this happened. I'll post an update here when I have one. Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Boballo
If you read the entire text of the email, while it says “no action is required on your part” it then goes on to direct the recipient to click a link further down. I didn’t click the link, so I don’t know where it goes, but it is entirely possible that this is a malicious email.
Login to Me Too

Laur18
Contributor
Contributor

I received the same email today but what I found weird and why I came here it’s because I couldn’t click on the PayPal sign on top of the email. On all the other ones I have, I was able to do so. Well if it’s not a scam, good!

Login to Me Too

punkologist

I got a similar message but it said this (I have not made any changes on my account):

Your information has been verified
We were able to verify the information you provided, and your account setup is now complete.

Thanks for taking the time to verify your information and helping to keep your account secure.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.