Email scam: "We noticed unusual activity in your account"

fjhh
Contributor
Contributor

Received this email today, FYI:

(the system did not like that i pasted the link in so I am breaking into separate lines

From

PayPal <removed>

>> message body <<

Hello Dear, Your PayPal Account logged form another device

IP Address Of Device : 101.114.10.1

PayPal Suggest to you to renew your information's by clicking this link you will be redirecting to PayPal Site

Renew My Info's

Thank you

------

The link in the email is: <removed>

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fjhh

Can you edit your post and remove that scam link from this forum?

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fjhh

Can you edit your post and remove that scam link from this forum?

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email link to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

fjhh
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal should have a standard email address such as "spam@paypal" so that people can report these

scam emails and paypal can keep stats/track etc.

I wanted to simply report this but it has been over the top difficult, I will not in the future.

Question: If I need to login with my account why do I need to do the I am not a robot thing?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fjhh

They do its spoof@paypal.com

That is why I posted the LINK for you to read with that information in it.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340

It's also important to report the fake email or website to PayPal as soon as possible. That way, we can help protect you and other PayPal members. Forward any suspicious email to spoof@paypal.com then, delete the suspicious email.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

fjhh
Contributor
Contributor

never saw that, 

if it exists should be on paypal page,

i got a cryptic email that I included a link and needed to edit the post.

thanks for the sarcastic response to a 10 year customer that was trying to help.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fjhh

Your welcome, thanks for calling a volunteer that gave up her time to provide you with all that information sarcastic.   

You know the info I took the time to find and post that you didn't bother to actually READ?

I will certainly rush to help you in the future...not.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tgrego
New Community Member

I have sent a message to "spoof@paypal" and I got a message back saying "this message is from a trusted sender".  How do I know it's trusted now when it's not addressed to me, but I sent it to Paypal's spoof address?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.