Email requesting I confirm my identity - Scam or legit?

Schlod1234
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys, just got email supposedly from Paypal saying my account access has been limited until I confirm my identity, is this a scam?

Due to Australian regulatory requirements, you will now experience limited usage of your PayPal personal account until you confirm your identity. This means you will not have access to spending or withdrawing balance, sending money or adding funds to your account. This includes any pre-existing billing agreements where balance within your PayPal account was used as a funding source. We have made attempts to contact you prior to this date. To resume normal usage of your PayPal account, please log into your PayPal account and follow the notifications, or the Confirm Your Identity page directly. Forgotten your password? Don't worry - you can reset it in just a few simple steps by following the instructions here. Thank you for being a PayPal customer.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Schlod1234 

Sounds like a typical spoof so NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Schlod1234 

Sounds like a typical spoof so NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Frustrated773
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think this was a spoof - and surprised to see it 'solved'. I can't believe that a company like paypal would make an email look so much like a spoof! I get and email telling me 1. they have already tried to contact me but I am certain they haven't, and remember they do have other options of my details to contact me before limiting my account  2. The email is full of links - agree with respondent that rule 1 I learnt is never use links although to make this work, to stop threats of stopping my account, I did in the end use a link but only after I had logged in seperately to my account  3. when i followed the direction to "log in to your account and follow notifications" - there were no notifications and it all looked normal. I logged in, it went to my summary and I couldn't find anything anywhere. Only when I went to help, did it have a link there about something and I found myself battling with a decision as to clicking 'a link' - but considered I would see all my other details, so surely ok.  All they wanted was an address!   I just can't believe that a company the size of paypal - I mean it wasn't just one work experience student that sent that ridiculous spam looking email to all of us - and nobody thought "hey, maybe we shouldn't just come up front and threaten people that we will throw their lives into chaos by cutting off their account, and say we have made attempts to contact you before and now we are going to take action - and when the customer has junk mail and deleted item folders that they can scan back through and prove to themselves that no, you haven't tried to contact them in the recent past, and fill the email with links...... identical to the hundreds of scam emails they have been using for years"   But what do I know - I would send an email which started with "this is not a scam and requires your immediate attention so that we are not required by Australian laws to limit your account. (I know, just like any scam but stick with me....)  And then point out that you can verify this is not a scam because it has your full name included and there are no links in this email like scam emails have. We require you to log into your account and follow notifications you will find there........ and then put those notifications in it so as soon as anyone logs into their account they are immediately aware they must do this or have account limited. Seems simple to me but what do I know. That's why I will raise this matter with the Australian Financial Services Ombudsman and see what they think. 

Login to Me Too

Snoopcat1
New Community Member

I have the same Email, I logged into my legit Paypal account and I get a message saying that I have to confirm my identity before I can use the account.

Login to Me Too

rajasekarmsn
Contributor
Contributor
Schlod1234
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.