Email received, could it be a scam?

viv73
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning, I have set up google pay on my phone about 2 months ago and I have not used it at all.  Today I received this email. And I can not find any information withing PayPal to confirm, I am wondering if this is a scam? If this is real, how do I know? Below is the exact words on email. Of course there is PayPal and Google Pay logo's...........

We have updated your PayPal virtual card.

Now you can use PayPal anywhere MasterCard is accepted though Google Pay

Your PayPal virtual card will have a new card number, Mastercard logo, and is ready for use. (note here the "c" in card is not capital. 

For more information on where Google pay is accepted, visit <removed>

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Sounds suspicious as PayPal is not using virtual cards anymore - many years ago they did permit the use of virtual cards but, it was phased out.

Look at the email address domain and wording in the email, grammar, salutation, spelling, etc.  If any of these are questionable, it's most likely a spoof.

* Forward the entire email to:    spoof@paypal.com.
* Do not alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment.
* Delete the suspicious email from your inbox.
* Never click on any links within the email or open any attachments.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Sounds suspicious as PayPal is not using virtual cards anymore - many years ago they did permit the use of virtual cards but, it was phased out.

Look at the email address domain and wording in the email, grammar, salutation, spelling, etc.  If any of these are questionable, it's most likely a spoof.

* Forward the entire email to:    spoof@paypal.com.
* Do not alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment.
* Delete the suspicious email from your inbox.
* Never click on any links within the email or open any attachments.

Login to Me Too

viv73
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you I sent the message as suggested. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.