Does PayPal send payment notifications via spam

DSlatten
Contributor
Contributor

So I'm trying to sell my truck and this guy said that he would pay me via PayPal so I setup a PayPal account when I got the notification that a payment has been made it came via spam to my Gmail. With conditions that I'm supposed to pay upfront $900 to some moving company to transport my truck to the buyer beforehand through MoneyGram at Walmart does anything about this seem wrong to you? Or is this how things work with PayPal

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@DSlatten

This a scam.

Even if this wasn't a scam; you shouldn't use PayPal for buying, or selling a vehicle, except for a small deposit to hold the vehicle until the buyer shows up with cash. 

For future transactions—emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name or business name. If you're unsure of an email, go to the website directly and log in to check if there are any notices or transactions in your account. If you don't see any activity in your account, then its safe to say that you didn't receive any payments. 

Here is a PayPal link with details on scams.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/scams-on-craigslist-and-other-classifieds-websites-faq30...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.