Did I get scammed?

tagreen348

I sold a camera through E-Bay for $450 dollars and I have not yet received my money.  I got this e-mail:

You've received a payment from (buyer's e-bay ID), detailed below. This transaction has been temporary placed on hold.
eBay and PayPal are working together to make it safer than ever to buy on eBay. One of the boldest steps is to identify transactions that pose the greatest risk of fraud and holding the payments from sellers for a period of time to help prevent fraudulent sellers from extorting eBay buyers.Payment has been placed on hold and will not be released into your account until we receive and confirm the shipping tracking number
Once you send  it, submit a traceable tracking number to our transaction department by replying this mail for your fund to be processed and released into you account.
Buyer has required that item is shipped with (Fedex).
We will notify you by email when the fund is released after confirmation of the shipment information.
You are safe and secure to ship the item.
Payment Details
Amount (pending): US $_ _ _._ _ 
Routing Code: ______________
Buyer's:(
You are to send shipping tracking number to us for verification, so as to secure Buyers purchase as well as you. Fund has been deducted from (Buyer's email ) and shall be credit to your PayPal account (My-email ) immediately after shipment is...
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tagreen348 

Scam. Even if PayPal holds the funds because of their 21 days funds availability hold, you should see the funds and record of transaction in your PayPal account if the buyer REALLY sent payment. Do not ship the camera out until you see funds. I'd cancel the order where it does not cause you a defect. If the buyer trips out, tell them, "Sorry, don't see payment, will have to contact PayPal to confirm." and they'll go away because the jig is up.

And PayPal doesn't use "Routing code". It's called Transaction ID.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

tagreen348

The person received the product and I completely lost the money. What should I do? 

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tagreen348 

What? Oh dear. Nothing you can do in terms of money because no payment was sent through PayPal. You can report it to the police and file a ic3.gov report but that's about it. It's a stolen camera/fraud case at this point.

Do people not log on to their account before shipping or to ship, to see if and make sure money is in account first?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

tagreen348

Ha, sorry I'm young and this was my first time ever selling anything. I got so excited that I made a sale that I didn't even think clearly. My mom knew it was a scam all along, but wanted me to learn a lesson. Luckily for me, the camera was old and probably wouldn't have sold for much if it was a legitimate sale. 

Login to Me Too

tagreen348

And now I have the buyer requesting ridiculous things from me such as if I sent a $450 amazon gift card, I'll get the money. But I learned my lesson and won't be falling for tricks like that anymore. 

Login to Me Too

Slick187
Contributor
Contributor
wut wuz the trick ?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.