Confused by International Fees

ColdMold
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to send a small amount of money to someone. They live in Canada, and I am in US. If I send it as a gifted payment, I am charged $3, which is a high fee for the low amount I am sending. If I send it as goods and services, I believe the person receiving the money will be charged a 0.30 CAD fee + 4.4%? Can anyone help clarify if my understanding is correct?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Goods and Services is for making a purchase - if you send funds as Goods and Services, the receiver is charged a transaction processing fee as it's assumed they sold you something.    If using the Send Money feature for Friends and Family and both the sending account and receiving account are in the same country and the sender uses money from either their PayPal Account Balance or their bank account - there are no fees to either person.

Things get a bit more complicated when the money is sent to a different country (as there are cross border fees and currency conversions if applicable).   And regardless if sending money to someone in the same country or out of the country, if the sender uses a credit card as the funding source, there's also a fee which is charged to the sender.

There are several fee calculators on the internet that can figure out what it will cost you or the receiver, note not of the calculators are current but, many will give you a good idea.

Here's one example.

Here's another.

Login to Me Too

BestCucumber
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, thats right. On Goods & Service, standard fees shall apply. 

Check here: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees

Login to Me Too

ColdMold
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. I just wanted to verify the seller would not be charged something like the $3 from a gifted payment
Login to Me Too

BestCucumber
Contributor
Contributor

Just cause of Interest, how much were you trying to sent when you were charged 3$?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.