Charity Doom-Loop

Berlingocurate
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Community

I am the vicar of a Church of England Church in the UK.  All UK churches are charities and we have a charity commission number and I have a copy of the charity commission registration certificate.  You'd think it would be quite easy to get the PayPal business account changed to a charity rated account - but no!  In fact, I have been going round and round in circles since June.  I was wondering if anyone could help.  The latest from PayPal is that they want me to fill out a Letter of Authorisation (LOA) but when I look at this document it asks for my business registration number.  We don't have one of those because we aren't a business.  I've also been asked to provide the names and addresses and dates of birth of all my board members.  We don't have those either - charities don't have a board.  We have trustees but even here things are different for churches.  I've also been asked my position in the company.  Again - what do I say?  I'm a priest - this isn't a company.  And so this continues on and on.  When I do send through my charity registration certificate it seems to be ignored and low and behold I get another email asking me for the names, addresses and dates of birth of my board, my position the company and my business registration document.  I would quite like to call someone to sort all this out, but I can't ever seem to find a telephone number.  Can someone please help!  Many thanks, Nick

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Berlingocurate 

Did you select the correct option when you set up your business account?

Read through the link first and see if it helps.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-can-i-get-my-nonprofit-set-up-with-paypal-to-accept-...

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.