Charged US to CANADIAN exchange rate "difference" on fully cancelled order.

CrazyCanuk
Contributor
Contributor

I currently made an online transaction from a US vendor in US funds charged to a Canadian credit card using PayPal.

PayPal charged their exchange rate to convert from US to Canadian dollars and billed my credit card that amount.

The full order was cancelled and the vendor refunded the full US amount.

PayPal converted the same full US refund at a lower exchange rate to Canadian dollars and credited my Canadian credit card.

I am now out the difference on the exchange rate for a fully refunded purchase.

Called customer support, they could not or would not help, possibly a language barrier or new employee to the job.

Asked to speak to a supervisor to have the exchange rate difference credited to my credit card.

On hold for 52 minutes with no one picking up the phone.

Now I am here as the online dispute page times out with too many redirects...

PayPal, and friends .... please help, this should be a simple matter but it seems it is not.

One should think that this is pretty straight forward.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CrazyCanuk 

Refunds

When you buy something from a seller online using PayPal and the transaction is ultimately refunded, the money will typically be refunded to the original payment method you used for the transaction if you used a credit card, Visa debit card, Mastercard debit card or PayPal balance. If you used a bank account as the payment method for the transaction, we will refund the money to your bank account, or to your PayPal balance if we cannot refund it to your bank account. For purchases you make in a seller’s store location that you paid for using your PayPal account and the transaction is ultimately refunded, the money will be refunded to your PayPal balance.

If PayPal performed a currency conversion for your transaction and a refund is issued:

• Within 1 day of the date of the original payment, PayPal’s transaction exchange rate (including our currency conversion fee) used at the time of the original payment will apply.

• Beyond 1 day of the date of the original payment, PayPal’s transaction exchange rate (including our currency conversion fee) on the date of the refund will apply.

Money will be refunded in the currency you paid; or if we are unable to refund in the currency you paid, in your primary holding currency; or if we are unable to refund in your primary holding currency, then in Canadian dollars.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_CA#buying

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

CrazyCanuk
Contributor
Contributor

This is no solution and the biggest reason to never use PayPal ever again.

My credit card would credit my account the difference because of the buy and sell difference in the currency exchange but they cannot because PayPal did the conversion and posted only Canadian funds to my credit card account.  Remember, nothing in the end was purchased, the order was totally refunded before any delivery.  Again, so why should I be out of pocket for any currency exchange... GOOD BYE PAYPAL...forever...You can KISS MY SWEET **bleep** GOODBYEEEE.....

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.