Car purchase suspicion

Nrappa
New Community Member

Hey guys! I read through some of the other posts, and it seems that I may have a scam on my hands. I had a guy contact me about purchasing my car, saying that he’ll pay asking price after only a 15 minute conversation (my ad was very descriptive) and wanting my PayPal info. He said that he’d be sending a freight service to pickup the car after the money had cleared. My question is, if I give him my PayPal info, is there any way that I can still be scammed? I’d go only through PayPal and not open any random emails from him. I guess once he says that the “money is sent” and I don’t receive it then my suspicions would be right. I’m just wondering if I only take these steps, would I be safe? If it’s a serious buyer I wouldn’t want to miss out on the opportunity. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Nrappa 

#1: Vehicles are not covered by PayPal Seller AND Purchase protection so any claims have to be dealt with via small claims court. 

#2: Always make sure you see payment in your PayPal account by logging on as well, do not just believe emails as they can be spoofed.

#3: Only give your PayPal email address or linked mobile number for them to send money. No names, they'll see it soon enough in the payment details of their PayPal account activity page once they really send payment.

4#: It's a scam if you receive PayPal emails asking to buy gift cards, pay a third party, or send any kind of info first "before seeing payment". PayPal don't hide payments asking you to do these things first. If someone sent payment, you will see it in your PayPal account, even if the funds are put on hold by PayPal.

5#: And it is not really necessary for the buyer to tell you that the money is sent because PayPal will surely send you their very basic payment confirmation with who paid, how much, for what, and transaction ID because that's when buyer can send spoof emails to confuse you so be on high. alert. But most importantly is checking your account for payment, those are the two crucial things.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.