Can't create account, seems to be an address issue.

Worand
Contributor
Contributor

I am here with my father trying to set up an account for him but the process will not accept his address even though the address was filled in using the 'find address' function by entering the postcode and selecting the address from a list.

The message on the address and phone number and DOB part of the set up simply says "Please check your entries and try again" with no indication exactly which entry is the issue!
I have tried changing the DOB, Phone number and type, check boxes for info etc. but all to no avail.
You can't access chat help without being logged in and indeed I've had to login to my own account to access this community so I'm not sure how he'd have got any help without me. Currently a 3 hour wait for an agent on chat.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Worand
Contributor
Contributor

OK I have managed to solve this in the end. I talked to chat help (next day not 3hrs for a reply but hey) and they were helpful but could not solve it.

We tried multiple variations and browsers and machines to no avail.
then I tried on an iPad and while that in itself was not the answer it brought the answer out.
Because I could not copy and paste my choice of password from my password generator I used a simple one meaning to update it later and I got an account created ok.
When I went back to the PC and tried to update the password it would not accept my strong(ish) password even though it was in the 20 character limit. The acceptable characters were quite limited, a question mark, for example was not allowed.
When I was 1st trying to create the account their system had given me a tick on the password fields but then not accepted the password when the account creation was attempted on the next page.
It seems the password conformity checker on their browser based system is either not comprehensive or not compliant with their base system passwords rules and allows you to think the password you have created is ok when it is not.
The address was not an issue at all. It was used fine in the end. We live and learn, I find several sites have been like this. Some even state the acceptable characters but their system won't allow them (NS&I for one).
It's nuts that we are told to always use strong passwords but aren't actually allowed to. Some I know would say It's almost like a conspiracy!

PS. Now I can't login to my own account. It has 2FA but when I click to send a code to my phone it says it can't. Go figure!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Worand 

Is your father in the same country as you?

Are you opening a paypal account in the country where he resides?

Is the paypal account in his name?

Does his address match any cards he has linked to that paypal account ie billing address?

Has he verified his email address or phone if you are using the app.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Worand
Contributor
Contributor

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Your questions:

Q1. Is your father in the same country as you?

A1. YES

Q2. Are you opening a paypal account in the country where he resides?

A2. YES

Q3. Is the paypal account in his name?

A3. YES or it will be once we manage to create it.

Q4. Does his address match any cards he has linked to that paypal account ie billing address?

A4. There is nothing linked to his Paypal account yet since we have not been able to create it (because of this problem)

Q5. Has he verified his email address or phone if you are using the app.

A5. No because we haven't got that far in the set up process because we can't get past the 'enter your address' page. We are on a PC

Login to Me Too

Worand
Contributor
Contributor

PS here is a screenshot of what I'm getting with the actual numbers hidden>
You get to this page after pressing 'Continue' directly after you enter an email address and choose a password on the very first 'set up a new account' page.
<removed>

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Worand 

Address line 1 seems very short, did the FULL address show when you entered house number and postcode?

If not try imputted the full address in address 1 but not the Newcastle bit on the next line.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Worand
Contributor
Contributor

No the address is fine and is there in full. I chose the correct address from the drop down that appears when you enter the postcode.

It looks short because it is. For example '38 Southlands' would be just as short for the 1st line.

I actually tried a few random addresses of relatives and even mine and it rejected them all. There is something up with the system I believe. I'll await the chat response.

Login to Me Too
Solved

Worand
Contributor
Contributor

OK I have managed to solve this in the end. I talked to chat help (next day not 3hrs for a reply but hey) and they were helpful but could not solve it.

We tried multiple variations and browsers and machines to no avail.
then I tried on an iPad and while that in itself was not the answer it brought the answer out.
Because I could not copy and paste my choice of password from my password generator I used a simple one meaning to update it later and I got an account created ok.
When I went back to the PC and tried to update the password it would not accept my strong(ish) password even though it was in the 20 character limit. The acceptable characters were quite limited, a question mark, for example was not allowed.
When I was 1st trying to create the account their system had given me a tick on the password fields but then not accepted the password when the account creation was attempted on the next page.
It seems the password conformity checker on their browser based system is either not comprehensive or not compliant with their base system passwords rules and allows you to think the password you have created is ok when it is not.
The address was not an issue at all. It was used fine in the end. We live and learn, I find several sites have been like this. Some even state the acceptable characters but their system won't allow them (NS&I for one).
It's nuts that we are told to always use strong passwords but aren't actually allowed to. Some I know would say It's almost like a conspiracy!

PS. Now I can't login to my own account. It has 2FA but when I click to send a code to my phone it says it can't. Go figure!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.