Buying $3500 Item Privately

Onji
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone, I haven't used PayPal to transact/pay someone privately. I wanted to buy something from a person in US a brand new laptop that he has. I'm just worried that since he's not a merchant or an online retailer that PayPal won't cover it if ever something bad happens. The item is worth $3500 and this is why I am worried a lot! Does anyone know if it's safe to proceed? Any tips when doing such transactions?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Onji

I would proceed with caution, if you buy it and it arrives misdescribed then the onus would be on you if you won the dispute to send the item back 'trackable' to prove delivery at your own expense first before you get a refund and you don't get that shipping fee back again.

So be very careful selecting items internationally as you will probably have to pay a customs fee on top of the price when it arrives in your country.

Read up on Paypal buyer protection so you can risk assess your transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

mon804
Contributor
Contributor

Generally, it's pretty safe, but if you want to make sure consider offering to reimburse him for listing fees and have him sell the item through a (maybe private) BIN listing on eBay. They have a pretty good system in place that aims to protect customers as much as possible if you read up on how to use it properly. I'd generally try to do this if I feel sketchy about a purchase, especially if they're just a private entity. 

Login to Me Too

Onji
Contributor
Contributor

I guess it's better to play safe then. Thanks for the response!

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Onji

I would proceed with caution, if you buy it and it arrives misdescribed then the onus would be on you if you won the dispute to send the item back 'trackable' to prove delivery at your own expense first before you get a refund and you don't get that shipping fee back again.

So be very careful selecting items internationally as you will probably have to pay a customs fee on top of the price when it arrives in your country.

Read up on Paypal buyer protection so you can risk assess your transaction.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.