Buyers refund fee or exchange rate difference?

tam01
Contributor
Contributor

From the U.S., I bought something from an ebay seller in the U.K for £56.98 GBP (was charged $76.15 using my credit card). I received a refund from the seller for the same, £56.98 GBP, but the refund I received was for less, a $73.46 refund. Was this due to currency exchange rate? or a fee? Someone at ebay said it was a fee I was charged by paypal, but I read buyers do not get charged a refund fee. So confusing. Also, the paypal email notification did say it was a refund. Thank you.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tam01 

It could be the exchange rate because the rate used is the going rate on date of refund, not date of payment.

The seller can deduct the PayPal fee from your refund though too depending on the reason for the refund because paypal no longer refunds the PayPal fees so the difference comes out of the seller's pocket. So if you reneged on an order or make a mistake at checkout to cause a refund for instance, the seller "might" deduct the fee as well.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tam01 

It could be the exchange rate because the rate used is the going rate on date of refund, not date of payment.

The seller can deduct the PayPal fee from your refund though too depending on the reason for the refund because paypal no longer refunds the PayPal fees so the difference comes out of the seller's pocket. So if you reneged on an order or make a mistake at checkout to cause a refund for instance, the seller "might" deduct the fee as well.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

tam01
Contributor
Contributor

Hello- No, I rec'd refund because I never rec'd the item 😞 mail issue... but thank you, yes, I actually just talked to someone at Paypal and they confirmed it was not a fee, that it was the conversion rates on the different days that made the difference. Thanks for your response!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.