Buyer is trying to fake me out

CallumBassett
Contributor
Contributor

I recently sold a phone to a buyer who ask that i requested the £470 from her. i received an email to say she has paid and the funds will go into my account once i provided delivery proof, so i sent the item and emailed the tracking number to that email. Since then the buyer has received the phone but still no payment. I received another email saying the proof of purchase has been approved and the funds would be in my account within 24 hours. it's now been 96 hours(4 days) and still nothing, i spoke with paypal on twitter and they said all the emails i received were fake and the buyer hasn't paid yet. What can i do as the buyer isn't paying but has the item already. I have tried making a dispute but it doesn let me. it says:

"Unable to complete your request

We're unable to file a case for this transaction. You can contact Customer Service for further queries."

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CallumBassett

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

CallumBassett
Contributor
Contributor

I wish i knew this before. What can i do then?

Login to Me Too

Dess123
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same situation, thankfully haven't shipped the item because I didn't believe the emails are genuine.

You can call the Paypal customer service they will tell you what to do to log fraud, or forward the fake emails to spoof@paypal.co.uk and wait for them to respond. Not sure how Royalmail can help if the item has already been delivered.

This is the reason why you shouldn't take transactions out of eBay and not ship an item if you haven't received the funds. Especially if the 'customer' knows better than you what you need to do and what emails you will receive from Paypal... I also wasted my time and learnt it the hard way.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

If you have the mailing address, report it to the police.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.