Basic questions D:

PatriciaIAD
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there.

So I'm new to this because I always use my credit card to buy online but I've been thinking of creating an account for a while now, so I guess I just did haha.

I have very basic questions 😧

I live in Portugal but sometimes I order stuff from US websites to be delivered in the states. So, my questions are:

1. Do I have to link a credit card to my account to pay with PayPal when I order stuff? Or can I instead just add money to my PayPal account and use that when I buy stuff?

2. If so, how can I add money to my PayPal account and how long until it is available?

3. If I link a credit card issued in Portugal to my PayPal account can I still order things from US websites? (Because some websites do not accept payments with a credit card not-issued in the US. So will I still have that problem?)

4. How can I see the transactions I've made with my account?

If someone takes the time to answer my questions I would really appreciate it hahaha

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

Patricia

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PatriciaIAD 

1. You can just use your balance as long as its in the correct currency as paypal do not convert during a transaction from your balance (although you can convert it in your balance yourself before you pay). But at some point paypal may require you to add a bank account or card to verify your account.

2. You can click on 'transfer' and add funds to your paypal account as long as that option is available in your country (should be). However whereas if you PAY using paypal they will credit the seller upfront and they will wait for funds to transfer, if you are adding funds yourself then you take the wait and that can be up to a week.

3. You can add a credit card to paypal to pay, never found any problem buying internationally using that funding source. However you can't add an international address to a paypal specific paypal account. So you can't add a U.S address to a Portugese paypal account. However if the seller is still happy to send to a U.S address and you add and select that address on the website you are purchasing from thats fine. BUT most sellers refuse to send to an address that is not the paypal registered address of the buyer as they lose their seller protection if they do.

4. Transactions will show on your paypal summary page. 

5. Make sure you read up on paypal buyer protection so you can risk assess your transactions / avoid china websites (that look as if they are in the the U.S or another country but really in china) + Social Media ads (same).

6. I always use a c.c. to fund my paypal purchases as it gives you an extra layer of buyer protection.

6. Portugal, beautiful country. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PatriciaIAD 

1. You can just use your balance as long as its in the correct currency as paypal do not convert during a transaction from your balance (although you can convert it in your balance yourself before you pay). But at some point paypal may require you to add a bank account or card to verify your account.

2. You can click on 'transfer' and add funds to your paypal account as long as that option is available in your country (should be). However whereas if you PAY using paypal they will credit the seller upfront and they will wait for funds to transfer, if you are adding funds yourself then you take the wait and that can be up to a week.

3. You can add a credit card to paypal to pay, never found any problem buying internationally using that funding source. However you can't add an international address to a paypal specific paypal account. So you can't add a U.S address to a Portugese paypal account. However if the seller is still happy to send to a U.S address and you add and select that address on the website you are purchasing from thats fine. BUT most sellers refuse to send to an address that is not the paypal registered address of the buyer as they lose their seller protection if they do.

4. Transactions will show on your paypal summary page. 

5. Make sure you read up on paypal buyer protection so you can risk assess your transactions / avoid china websites (that look as if they are in the the U.S or another country but really in china) + Social Media ads (same).

6. I always use a c.c. to fund my paypal purchases as it gives you an extra layer of buyer protection.

6. Portugal, beautiful country. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.